Saturday, July 12, 2008

Being Superwoman

If you are reading this on Saturday AM, I am in Houston, Texas, presenting to the West Houston Romance Writers of America. I'm doing a workshop on finding your inner superwoman, which includes a lot of introspection, prioritizing and goal setting. It's an up/back trip, and then I'll be flying to Dallas on Wednesday for a multi-media workshop.

I realized something this year. I had a lot of my priorities out of balance. For the past two years, writing has taken top billing over everything. I wrote six books in 18 months. I am only writing 2 this year, and I have 80 pages left to do (it's due August 1). I'm a bit of a last-minuter.

There's a lot on my plate right now. I'm joining a new church. I've given up my boyfriend of 7 years--I simply couldn't get him scheduled in and it wasn't really going anywhere anyway. We're still friends. My daughter is away at a gifted camp for kids--and she may skip the entire eighth grade and go straight into high school. I took over the school newspaper, adding to my teaching duties. I also added a weekly meeting with a personal trainer to my schedule.

I also teach full time. I go back to work July 29 and my first day with kids is Aug. 11. So I go non-stop, and this is the focus of my talk. What are your priorities, what are your goals, and how often do your goals get sideswiped by your priorities, and what you can do about it.

So I invite you to be a part of my workshop. Here are two of the eight activities the group is going to do:
Make a list of the top five things in your life with number one the most important and number five the lesser of the five. If you can, make a list of six through ten.
What is important to you? This is your mission. This is what you are about.

Next make a list of your personal strengths. Start the sentences with I am good at… I can…. People look up to me because… The key here is to realize how truly awesome you are. As my personal trainer says, you don't focus on what you can't do, but your strengths.

Michele

8 comments:

cheryl c said...

I retired last year after teaching for 30 years. Teaching took over my life because there was so much planning and paperwork that had to be done. Now that I have retired, I find that I am able to enjoy life more. I have time to read books and blog on the computer. I rediscovered TV. I am able to be there for my family in ways that I never could before. I cook more. My house is cleaner. I can spend more fun time with my family. My husband and I travel more. I don't regret my years of teaching, but I am glad that they are behind me.

I admire you for all that you do. I don't know how you find time to write as well as teach!

Michele Dunaway said...

Cheri,

Congrats on teaching 30 years. That is such a milestone! I'm so glad you are finding retirement a lot of fun.

Michele

EllenToo said...

cheri- I so agree with you. I retired 3 years ago after teaching 35 years and am so glad my life is my own now. Although I don't have a family there are other things I can now enjoy. I love to read and I can do all the reading I want. I love to travel and I can do all of that I want (provided I can afford the gasoline to do so). I also admire Michele being able to write and teach.

Anonymous said...

Nice post! :) Writing is an art and not everybody is good at it. But having a nice pen and other accessories certainly helps. That is what we are trying to do at www.apassionforpens.co.uk..

Michele Dunaway said...

Wow Ellen, I remember you telling me that before. 35 years.

I have been teaching 20.

Michele

Michele Dunaway said...

Which means that I admire both of you ladies very much for those accomplishments!

Dear anonymous--I wish I used pens to write, but no longer. It's all computerized now.

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I do not think writing is my thing. I have tried and there's no way that I have any talent for. Congrats though on teaching and writing.

Michele Dunaway said...

Hi Kimmy,

I bet you have a lot of other strengths and talents, though! I can't draw or sing. Horrid at both unless you count stick people and off tune as being acceptable. I also kill indoor plants.


One of the things I wanted to do at my workshop was to encourage people to make a list of all the things they were good at (the I can statements, I am good at statements). So often we focus on what we can't do rather than what we can.

So while I might not be able to sing or paint or even clean my house efficiently, I write.