Friday, July 18, 2008

Getting Things Done...or Not

I can so relate to what Barbara went through yesterday. It must be the alignment of the planets or today's full moon. Technology has hit me hard, too. Hey, I'll blame anything!

Time can be so hard to find. I understand that to get things done, one must make the time to do them, but when time isn't available, what's next? Skipping sleep? I've tried that, and it just isn't what it's cracked up to be. I just don't do well on two hours of sleep, and no one wants to be around me when that's all I've had. Even me.

I'm not and never have been a person who can live on a rigid schedule. I'm too flighty. Too...Gemini? (There's that planet thing again.) I try, I really do. I get up at the same time every morning, usually have lunch ready about the same time every day for my grandkids, am always happy to see their moms pick them up at night, and then after that... I move from one project to another, sometimes on a whim. Even during the day, I bounce from one project to the next, dodging little interruptions whenever possible.

It keeps life interesting, but it makes life more hectic. I admire those who know what they'll be doing when and follow their schedules with zeal and appreciation of having a handle on their lives. If I could do that, I might find myself reading a book from my ever-growing TBR pile. And I do so love to read! I might find myself watching a movie I've been longing to see--a movie I bought six months or more ago and never found the time to sit down, veg out, and enjoy.

But projects and ideas come at me like arrows, zinging me from all directions. It seems my mind is never still, always thinking of this thing or that, jumping from one idea to another. At this stage in life, I'd say it's getting too late to change. I've tried. And then I slip back into my old and comfortable (sometimes) ways of doing what comes naturally. I guess I've made it this far, so maybe it won't hurt if I just keep on keeping on. Things that really need to be done do get done. It's those extras that I wish I could squeeze in to fit. Right now, that means I'm going to go read another chapter, maybe finishing the book before the weekend, when I'm sure I'll find something (many things?) to keep me more than busy.

I hope your weekend is a great one! I'll do everything I can to make mine the same. :)

3 comments:

Barbara White Daille said...

Roxann,

I don't like rigid schedules, either.

But sometimes...umm...I think I may be just a *bit* too easy on myself. LOL

Best,

Barbara http://www.barbarawhitedaille.com

EllenToo said...

I have never lived according to a "rigid" schedule. Teaching keeps you on a schedule of sorts but certainly not a "rigid" one. Now that I am retired I have NO schedule and that is not really good. Ok maybe I have a somewhat schedule because I go to the post office to pick up my mail every morning around 10:00.

Lee McKenzie said...

I've been having trouble with email all week. Blamed it on my ISP, but I'm sure they'd be much happier if I chalked it up to the full moon :)

Ellen, retirement should be all about not having a rigid schedule. After so many years of teaching, you've earned this "me" time, and then some.