Thursday, July 10, 2008

Summer Vacation

When I was a child, summer vacation consisted of piling into the car for a long, hot drive to Mississippi or North Carolina to visit relatives. I always looked forward to those trips, not only because I'd get to see my grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins, but because I'd get to see new scenery and places along the way.

This summer, with high gas prices and the increased hassles of flying, we're sticking closer to home. (Except for a trip to San Francisco at the end of the month for the Romance Writers of American conference -- we're getting there by train.)

If I can't physically travel somewhere, the next best thing for me is to read a book that will transport me to that place. My question for you today is -- if you could go anywhere on vacation this summer -- where would it be?

Since this is Harlequin American, let's keep the locales in America. Bonus points if you can match your destination with an American book. I'll go first:

Alaska. -- I've always wanted to visit our largest state.

Montana -- I love the west and can't wait to visit Big Sky Country. American has had a lot of great stories set in Montana. I loved Charlotte Maclay's Montana-set books.

Vermont -- The northeast is gorgeous, especially in the fall. I have fond memories of Anne Stuart's American romances set in Crescent Cove, Vermont. Right now, I'm really looking forward to new American author Liz Daly's trilogy set in Vermont, out (we hope) next year.

Boston -- a great, historic city -- Penny McCusker's Emmy and the Boss is a fun story set in Boston.

Washington State -- another beautiful place in a country filled with beautiful places. Ann Roth's The Pilot's Woman is a terrific way to visit this fascinating locale.

North Carolina -- I haven't been back to visit since I was 14. I'd love to go again. Lynette Kent's Smoky Mountain Reunion, out this month, is at the top of my TBR list for my vicarious visit back to my mom's home state.

Now it's your turn? Where do you want to visit -- and what books will take you there?

3 comments:

EllenToo said...

You swiped my favorites!!
I loved Montana (Montana Mavericks)and would love to go back and spend more time there.
Anywhere in New England would be great.(That Summer In Maine)(Vermont Valentine).
I loved Wyoming. (Wyoming Manhunt)
I could name a dozen more places in the US I would love to visit or revisit.

Michele Dunaway said...

Right now I am working on a book that uses a lake in Minnesota as its main setting.

I got to spend about 20 years of summers in Wisconsin on a lake, so writing my current book has been fun as I can base so much of my fictional lake on this very special place.

Since I live on 5 acres (and everyone around me as more), I pretty much vacation at home, especially this year when my daughters are here there and everywhere. I look out my windows and have a pond, rolling pasture, and the hills of the Missouri River Valley (Augusta, MO).

Great post Cindi!

Michele

Anonymous said...

I would love to go to the gulf shores in Alabama and take alot of books to read.