Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Must Love Dogs



This is a picture of me with one of my dogs, Snoopy. (He's a beagle mix and he already had that name when we adopted him.) As you might guess from the photos, I love dogs -- not just my dog, but all dogs.

If I see a book with a picture of a dog on the cover, I have to pick it up. More often than not, I'll buy the book. (If I think the dog dies in the book, I won't buy it. Fortunately, that's not usually a problem with romance.)

Oddly enough, I haven't written many books of my own with dogs in them. And I think only one ever had a dog on the cover. Hmmmm -- wonder why that is?

My current release, A Soldier Comes Home, from Harlequin Superromance, features a soldier holding a young child. Soldier + Cute Kid -- too iconic images I hope will draw readers to the book.

Of course, we authors have very little control over what goes on the covers of our books. The publisher asks for input, but they don't always use it. When I get a great cover, I feel very fortunate.

This has me wondering -- what images make you stop and pick up a book? I've heard that babies and pregnant women really draw readers. I know some women can't pass up a cover with a hunky cowboy or cop.

So -- what does it for you? Babies? Brides? Cowboys? Hunks? Soldiers? Dogs? Horses? I really want to know.

6 comments:

EllenToo said...

Hunks or Cowboys holding babies will do it for me. Or a man and woman with a baby. But the cover is not as important as the cover blurb is.

Estella said...

The cover doesn't usually matter to me. I buy mostly by author or recommendation.

Phoebe Jordan said...

As long as the cover attracts my attention it really doesn't matter who is on the cover. I love the picture of you and your dog Snoopy. My cousin use to have a American Terrier who was white with brown spots who she named Snoopy.

Kara Lennox said...

Maybe I'm superficial, but I like a cover that's pretty, with pretty people or no people, doesn't matter. That said, the title, author or blurb will sway me a lot more than the cover image. (I've read some really good books that had awful covers!)

Cindi Myers said...

I've read good books with awful covers, too, Kara! And I agree on pretty covers!

Barbara White Daille said...

I'm partial to pretty colors, as Kara and Cindi said.

On the other hand, a cute-looking guy will grab my eye every time, too. ;-)

Best,
Barbara

http://www.barbarawhitedaille.com