Friday, May 30, 2008

School's Out/Summer's finally here

As I sit here and write this, school is just about out for the summer. At 11:25, the last bell will ring and the class of 2008 will be history. In my district, all the seniors always graduate the first Saturday of June.

My big summer plans are to write another novel for Harlequin American and turn it in by August 1, my deadline. I'm on page 70 something but turn into a full time writer on Wednesday, my first day without doctor appointments and that such.

I do have three workshops to attend, all related to teaching journalism. We might make two short trips to Batesville, IN, and Kansas City, but no big vacation plans.

I'm ready to write. After writing five books last year, this year I'm choosing to only do two and to space them out. I'm excited to be doing another "fall in love with the boss" corporate CEO book. Those are some of my favorites and already I'm having a lot of fun with Miranda and Chase and another quirky grandfather.

So what about you? As I say goodbye to my 21st year of teaching, what's up for you this summer? Any big plans? Any writing goals? Any reading goals?

Inquiring minds want to know.

2 comments:

EllenToo said...

First congratulations on completing 21 years of teaching. I am retired from teaching and know that only the few make 21 years. I have no real goals for the summer (other than survive hurricane season) since the price of gas is so high. I love to travel but am not sure I'll be doing much this year.

Phoebe Jordan said...

Congratulations on your completing 21 years of teaching. I just finished my first semester of college 2 weeks ago. I'm relieved that I got that over with and now I'm use to being a college student. I really have no ultimate plans for the summer as of yet. I do have a writing goal since I want to become a romance writer one day I want to write and finish my first manuscript by the end of the summer. I have done some research and I've bought "how to" books on writing romance to help me and I've got a notebook that will keep my notes and character profiles and family trees organized.

I set up a goal to write at least 800 words minimum and 2,000 words maximum each day. It's a contemporary romance so I don't have to do any historical research. I've been trying to find a critique partner but no such luck as of yet. As for reading goals I do have a goal to finish reading my very large TBR pile that consists of more than 100 new books that I've bought the last past couple of months since the year began.