Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Matter of Style

Here’s a question – why are category books almost always written in the third person. Mysteries, especially those authored by women, are frequently done in the more personal first person style. Especially notable is Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series. Good old Stephanie has led us on a merry chase through the humor and mayhem of her life as a bounty hunter. And as for Joe Morelli – whew! Male mystery writers, on the other hand, seem to favor the more omniscient, story telling third person view.

And in another genre, Diana Gabaldon did a wonderful job with her Claire and Jamie stories. Using first person she was able to provide use with an incredible description of life in 18th century Scotland. Remember what I said for Joe Morelli – double ditto for Jamie Fraser.

Last September I did an Everlasting Love book (first person) titled Summer After Summer. I absolutely loved that story. Unfortunately only about thirty-three people read it (LOL), but that’s neither here nor there. RT wasn’t quite as enamored with Summer as I was but interestingly enough it’s a finalist in the Orange County RWA’s Book Buyer’s Best contest.

So as a reader what do you think – first person or third person?

Currently I’m working on a story that will include several vignettes or remembrances presented in different perspectives. My question is - have you ever read a book that’s primarily written in first person but intermittently segues into third person? If so, what is it, and how did you like it?

And when it comes to a matter of style, which do you prefer?

Ann DeFee

The Man She Married, HAR, February 2009

Georgia On His Mind, HAR, August 2007 – Virginia RWA’s Holt Merit Award in both Short Contemporary and Southern Theme.

Summer After Summer, Everlasting Love, Sept. 2007 – Orange County’s Book Buyer’s Best finalist.

3 comments:

Estella said...

I prefer first person.

Trish Milburn said...

I write YA and read a lot of it, and a good amount is in first person. But most other types of novels I read are in third. I like either as long as it feels like the right perspective from which to tell the story.

Christa said...

You're at thirty-four:-). I just read Summer after Summer and really liked Charlie and Jazzy's journey over the last 34 years. Very heartwarming read.
I mostly read third person. But I really liked Out of This World by Jill Shalvis. It was done in first person but one chapter it was the h and another was the H so we got both POV's