Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Where Were You?

Last Friday, at 5:38 am, we had an earthquake. Okay, I better amend that. An earthquake hit in southern Illinois, but the tremors were felt all over the Midwest. Even here, where I live, in a suburb of Cincinnati. It was very exciting.

Here’s my story…I was actually working at my computer, determined to get revisions done on a book I’m writing for Avon Inspire, when my desk started shaking. Luckily, Phoebe the beagle was sitting right next to me, so I had a witness. We stared at each other, then looked at my desk again. Yep, the computer was definitely shaking. Next thing I knew, it was done. It lasted all of twenty seconds. I didn’t even think ‘earthquake’. No, I was thinking a train must be roaring by. Or a jet. I mean, really…we live in Ohio!

An hour later, after I woke up my family, I turned on the news. That’s when I heard the truth. It had been an earthquake! The tv anchors looked almost giddy with excitement. I felt the same way-something new and unexpected had happened and I was a part of it!

I made pancakes to celebrate. My kids and husband shook their heads at how easily entertained I was but wisely said nothing. Pancakes at 6:45 on a Friday morning is not a usual occurrence.

That wasn’t the best part. The best part was discussing the earthquake with everyone and anyone. Since no damage had been done, and no one got hurt, the ‘earthquake’ became a fun novelty for everybody around. “Where were you?” Became the question of the day, and boy, did everyone have answers! We discussed it during my critique group’s meeting. People brought it up in line at Starbucks. My friend at the gym was sorry she slept through it. Tremors woke up the guy doing my nails. The man at the framing store was in his car-he thought he was having tire trouble.

Obviously, it was just what everyone needed to perk up an otherwise ho-hum work week.

For me, it was kind of fun to hear a little snippet of other people’s lives so early in the morning. While discussing tremors, we talked breakfasts, coffee and tea routines, and sleep habits. People recalled visits to California, other natural disasters they were witness to, and everyone’s surprise to feel something here that happened so far away.

Today, we’re back to business as usual. School’s busy, there’s swim team practice this afternoon, and I need to go buy milk at the store. There's a chance of rain today. Oh, and I put out cold cereal for breakfast. My kids couldn’t help but wish something soon would uh, ‘shake things up’.

Anyone else feel the earthquake?
Shelley

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shelley- I live in the Pacific Northwest so no, I didn't feel the earthquake. I have experienced two of them myself, though. These were not as benign as yours. Scary, actually. Feeling the very earth, which I always thought of as solid, actually tremble really shook me up. No pun intended. :-)

I'm awfully glad you were able to enjoy your experience and not have to deal with the fear!!

Anonymous said...

Ann,

My mom lives in California and couldn't quite grasp our Ohio feeling of excitement. : / She, too, has had her share of scary earthquakes. I was just glad for the opportunity it gave our community to reach out and visit with each other!

Shelley

Estella said...

I live in the Pacific Northwest and did not feel your quake. We have very few quakes that we can feel here.

Anonymous said...

I live in southern Wisconsin, and while I can't say that I felt the earthquake, my husband and I both woke up about the time it hit. Neither of us knew why we were awake, but we were.
That night, we went to Perkins for dinner and it was the hot topic. Everyone seemed to be asking each other if they felt it.

Anonymous said...

Heather, I'm so glad you posted! It was definitely the hot topic here. My husband is so bummed he didn't wake up...: )

Shelley