Saturday, April 26, 2008

My love-hate affair with spring

I love spring. I hate spring. For the last several years, I've had a love-hate relationship with spring. I love it because everything is blooming and greening, winter is a memory, and I'm finally warm again. I hate it because of...allergies. I developed allergies after I moved to where I now live back in the mid 1990s. The city where I live is one of the top 10 cities for allergy- and asthma-related illnesses because we have such a high pollen count and we sit in a natural depression, which makes it more difficult for the pollen to blow away.

So while I love being outside in the spring, my sinuses have a different idea. All I can say is, thank goodness for allergy medication. I've been on two oral medications for a few years, started after the over-the-counter stuff just stopped working other than to make me so sleepy I nearly fell over onto my desk at work mid-afternoon. Yesterday, I added eye drops. I really don't like putting stuff in my eyes, so it's actually difficult for me to put an eye drop in my eye. I have to look in the mirror and do it, can't just look up at the bottle and let that drop fall. I know, I'm weird. It's been said before. :)

I've noticed that I set a lot of my books in the spring and summer. I think that's because I really don't like winter, and I like my characters to be able to do things outside like hiking and picnicking and boating. Maybe I'll have to think up a wintry story just to say I've done one. It'll have to be around Christmas since I love the holiday. But I'm always a little jealous of my friends in Australia and New Zealand who get to have Christmas in the middle of the summer. :)

So what about you? What is your favorite season and why? Is there one you'd rather be able to skip each year? And if you're a writer, do you notice yourself setting your books during certain times of the year?

6 comments:

EllenToo said...

I actually like the fall and winter seasons but then I live in a city (in the US) that rarely has freezing temperatures and snow only once every 100 years. The main reason I like them is the cooler weather without the allergies!!!

Estella said...

I love spring and fall. Winter is just too cold.

Trish Milburn said...

Ellen, I'd like the winter too if I lived in Florida. :) I hate dealing with the allergies, but I loathe being cold.

Estella, I like fall too. I really want to go to leaf peep in New England sometime.

Anonymous said...

I love spring and fall equally. I don't suffer from serious allergies, so I love to see everything blossoming. In the fall, the colors in Wisconsin are fabulous.

EllenToo said...

Trish......I live on the Texas coast. I wouldn't like winter if I live in the north.

Jennifer Shirk said...

I'm a summer person. I love it hot hot hot. :)
And yeah, I noticed I do set most of my writing in the summer --or late spring. LOL!