Friday, February 15, 2008

The call of the cat

Readers of this blog may recall that, in December, our cat died of cancer. A former stray, he’d been patrolling our house and yard for eight years, during which he’d driven off any cats foolish enough to encroach into his territory.

It’s only taken a few months for his scent, and reputation, to fade.

Lately, two cats have taken to prowling across our yard and – in one case -- yowling at night. While some of these felines may have owners, at least one lacks a collar, and the yowler sounds like she’s in heat, which implies either the lack of a human or the presence of a very irresponsible one.

These felines – both black, with different lengths of fur -- seem to like the freshly weeded, currently unplanted soil of my garden and the warmth beneath my husband’s car. Nevertheless, they keep their distance from us, and we keep ours.

During the past dozen years, I’ve adopted two strays, and suffered through their deaths. Now that they’re gone, I find myself reluctant to undertake the duties of ownership. Befriending, trapping and hauling cats to the vet for neutering. Taking care of twice-daily feedings, which involves dragging myself out of bed early on weekend mornings. Arranging for our neighbors to feed them when we go on a trip.

I don’t want another cat. Yet they keep prowling and yowling.

Maybe they just want me to pick them up and pet them a little. I suppose I could do that, as long as I’m wearing something that goes well with black.

But that’s all.

No more cats.

Not this week, anyway.

3 comments:

AliceAnderson said...

Aww. Next week? ;)

I have three kitties and I adore each of them. I rescued them from the shelter. I still find it hard to not feed strays. I'm such a softy for helpless animals. My hat's off to anyone who loves them and/or takes them in.

Besides, don't you need a writing buddy? Someone to pet while you're working through a difficult scene? :)

Estella said...

We are faced with a stray cat dilemma also. Their owner died and there is no one to take care of them. A mama cat and her present litter, about 3 mos, and her previous litter, about 1 yr. The mama and the older female are in heat again.
I already hav 5 old cats of my own.
This is a real dilemma, as I don't want anymore cats.
I know if I trap them and take them to the animal shelter, they will euthanize them.

catslady said...

My oldest (17) cat just passed on tuesday, peacefully in her sleep, although it was still a shock, I knew she had been going downhill:(
I do have 6 others which helps. They are all strays/ferals. I have had 3 females outside for 11 years (I had them fixed because I ran out of homes to place all the kittens!). Males come and go but I've had one old one for a few years and a new one this year.

Let us know when you get that new kitten :)