Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Top-Ten Post-Deadline Tasks

I turned in my latest Harlequin American manuscript to my editor yesterday (four days early, thank-you-very-much) and now I get to do all the things I've been putting off because I was "on deadline." Here is my top ten list of things to do after deadline:

10. Laundry. This one is essential or I will have to go to the store and buy socks and underwear.
9. Get my hair and nails done. The UPS man always smiles at me, but I'm sure he doesn't find gray roots and ragged claws all that attractive. The rest of the world wouldn't, either, and I do have to venture out of the house one of these days.
8. Buy groceries. When you're down to a block of moldy cheese, stale tortillas and some mustard, it's time to visit the store.
7. Pay bills. They haven't turned off the lights or water ... yet.
6. Answer e-mail. My box is getting so full, I'm threatening the one-gig max I'm allowed.
5. Exercise. Okay, I'll use any excuse not to. But it's time to dust off my sweats, brave the cold, and get my blood pumping again. I may even have to step on the bathroom scale.
4. Clean my office. Yes, there is a desk under there somewhere.
3. Clean the rest of the house. The dust bunnies have turned into mutants, and I haven't seen my cat lately.
2. Do more than wave distractedly at my husband. Yes, he's a very tolerant and understanding man, but he has his limits.

And the #1 post-deadline activity: START A NEW BOOK! I have one more Remington cousin to marry off.

4 comments:

Estella said...

Congratulations on finishing your book!

Meljprincess said...

LOL! Kara. Please find the cat! I have a terrible cold but you've listed several things I need to do once I feel better. I can relate to the roots and nails. I wish I could wave at my husband but he's in Kuwait. :-(
Yes, congrats on finishing your book. :-)

Melissa K.

Kara Lennox said...

Thanks for the congrats, Estella.

Melissa, feel better soon. It must be hard to have your husband so far away. I remember when Rob used to go to India, but that was only for a few weeks at a time.

Danny said...

Congrats on finishing your manuscript. :) I look forward to reading your Second Sons trilogy when it comes out~