Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Not the usual holiday celebration

In two days it’ll be winter solstice, the darkest day of the year. If you happen to live in the pacific northwest (I’m in the Seattle area), that means it’s dark by 4:20 pm., and the sun doesn’t rise until nearly 8:00 am—a whole lot of nighttime!

My husband and I decided to do something to usher out the shortest day. Last year we hosted our first annual winter solstice party. We invited lots of friends, many whom we hadn’t seen in ages, and served great food. I even made a hot spiced rum punch. We lit candles in every room. It was great to see everyone and watch people who’d never met make friends .

Our winter solstice party was so successful, we’re doing it again this year. The party, held on December 21, starts as darkness falls, around 4:30, and goes until whenever. I plan to raise a glass of hot rum punch to everyone who makes writing this blog so enjoyable—readers, writers and all my Harlequin American authors/sisters.

Wishing everyone a Happy Winter Solstice and Happy Holidays!

Until later,
Ann
www.annroth.net
All I Want for Christmas, November 2007

10 comments:

Estella said...

Great idea for a party, Ann!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Estella. :-)

Trish Milburn said...

Your party sounds fun, a great way to liven up what could be the most depressing day of the year. I tend to like it because I know the days will start getting longer the next day.

Anonymous said...

That's what I like about it, too, Trish. After tomorrow the days will slowly get longer. Wahoo!

Lily said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :)

I also like longer days!

Anonymous said...

Same to you, Lily. :-)

Megan Kelly said...

Ann-Great party idea! I'm going to try it next year as it'll be a Saturday night. Locally we have a cultural Indian site that usually does a ceremony at sunrise. Some year maybe I'll make it! This year I have to go to the job that enables me to write.

Anonymous said...

Megan-
It was a wonderful party, if I do say so. I lit candles all over the place (and kept an eye on to make sure none was too low, etc--didn't want a fire to ruin the evening), and my hubby built a roaring fire. Everyone who came loved the idea of a Solstice party, and we had a great time.

Nathalie said...

That is quite a bizarre celebration... I would prefer to celbrate the summer solstice !

Anonymous said...

Why not celebrate both, Nathalie? You've certainly given me a great idea. :-)