Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Real Romance

I've been thinking about romance a lot lately (and not just because I had edits due yesterday on my March 08 HAR!) My husband and I celebrated our wedding annniversary this week--we took the kids out to dinner with us. Very romantic *g* We've been married nine years but together as a couple for several years beyond that. And this weekend, my step-brother and his very lovely fiancee will be getting married. They have a cute "meet" story worthy of any romance novel.

I realize I'm probably preaching to the choir here since I suspect most of you "get" the uplifting value of a good love story, but it always shocks me when people say they don't read romance because the books are unrealistic and don't paint the world the way it is. Let's pretend for a sec that I actually agreed with that (I don't)--what would be wrong about painting the world as it should be? People overcoming their differences to find trust, respect and compromise.

Romance novels are not about "too-perfect" people. My HAR Trouble in Tennessee featured a heroine who was, um, how shall I put this tactfully, a smart aleck with occasional self-sabotaging tendencies. Jennifer Crusie's contemporary novel Bet Me featured Min, a plump heroine who wasn't comfortable with her own body image. I just finished a historical romance this weekend by Elizabeth Hoyt (The Raven Prince) where the hero was considered "ugly" because his face was scarred from childhood small pox.

My retired aunt and uncle have been married since before I was born and they still flirt and steal away for romantic weekends--happy ever afters aren't just for fairy tales. Nor are happy endings reserved for romantic love. (One of my favorite five minutes of any movie is the opening sequence of Love, Actually where Hugh Grant does the voice over about standing in an airport watching old friends, reunited siblings, parents with their children, etc, and realizing love really IS all around us.) A friend of mine loves writing, but it can be hard to follow your dreams when publishing is a difficult and capricious business, full of bumps in the road. I'm proud to say that my friend persisted, as any worthy and determined heroine would, and today her wonderful novel, Garden Spells, is making its hardcover debut and will be excerpted in Readers' Digest in early September. I say, the world needs books that encourage love and following your dreams.

Viva la romance! Today, indulge your passion for something, whether it's finding time to dabble with those paints you put up in those closet, surprising your sweetie with a warmer than usual welcome home kiss at the end of the day, or making time to read a good book.

4 comments:

Maureen said...

I think it's funny that people can say that romances are not realistic when so many people have their own story of romance.

Estella said...

If I don't have time to read, I make time in my schedule somehow. Even ten minutes is better than not reading at all.

Cherie J said...

I think it is up to us to make those romantic moments. Even the smallest gestures, like my hubby bringing me a glass of ice water while I rest, can be romantic when itis from a loving heart. I find it sad to see how some people don't recognize the importance of romance.

Anonymous said...

Ditto, Maureen! People looooove to talk about how they met their sig. other or how he proposed, etc, but then they think they wouldn't enjoy romances? And the thing is, there are so MANY types of romance--short books, epic tales, steamy books, historicals, "sweet" books for those who don't like sexy reads. Something for everyone, IMO.

Estella, I'm like you. I'll steal a few minutes in carpool if it's the only way to get in a few pages, but reading is something I make time for. And I'm so tickled to see that paying off in my kids and how it's already helping them in school (my oldest just started kindergarten and BEGS me to read him Magic Treehouse books).

>>I think it is up to us to make those romantic moments. Even the smallest gestures...can be romantic when itis from a loving heart<<

You said it! the very first thing I ever had published was a nonfiction essay about a "romantic gesture" my husband made. the topic of the essay was...bug spray. But it was romantic in context :-)