Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A nice surprise

Have you ever seen the movie "Bowfinger"? Well, if you haven't, there's a scene where Steve Martin, a down-and-out screenwriter, talks about how he has this dream of someday seeing the Fed-Ex truck pull up in front of his house and deliver to him a big check from a producer.

My husband and I found that scene (in fact, the whole movie) hilarious, because of course we have similar dreams about big checks arriving from publishers. Whenever we see a Fed-Ex truck in our neighborhood heading up someone up a street that is not ours, we shout at it, "Wrong way! Our house is on the next block!" It's a very silly private joke between us.

Well, the other day a Fed-Ex truck did pull up in front of our house. And since neither of us was expecting anything, we were curious. It was a big box. But it was very lightweight, too light to be books or a manuscript. And it was from Harlequin. And I had just gotten a contract offer from Harlequin, but normally the checks arrive via my agent several weeks down the line.

Well, it turns out the box contained my 25-book pin. My long-awaited pin. My 25th book came out in 2000. I should have received the pin in 2003, the first year they started giving out pins, but somehow I fell through the cracks (probably because I write under two names). I've been begging for it ever since. Thanks to Don Lucey of Harlequin's public relations department for tracking it down and sending it to me with a very nice (but belated) congratulatory note.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

A huge congrats on all those books, Kara. How many are you up to now?

I'm so glad the pin arrived. :-)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Congrats!!

(And I thought Bowfinger was hilarious, too!)

Christa said...

Congratulations on 25. What's the count to now?
BTW I really enjoyed One Stubborn Texan.

Every time my friend's dog is here and he hears the mailman going down the hall he starts to bark. So if the mailman doesn't have any mail for me I tell the dog or my friends that he scared the mailman away

Cherie J said...

I have never seen Bowfinger. will have to watch it sometime. Congrats on finally getting that 25 book pin.

Estella said...

Congrats on finally getting your 25 book pin.

catslady said...

Congrats! I do the same thing with the UPS truck - I'm always hoping they have a book for me. Unfortunately, my neighbor works as one of those hand out people in the grocery stores and it's constantly stopping for her lol.

Maureen said...

Belated congratulations on your acheivement.

Kara Lennox said...

Thanks, everyone, so much!

And Christa, glad you liked ONE STUBBORN TEXAN. You are always the first person (besides my husband and my editor) to read my books!

I just sold my 50th book to Harlequin, so, depending on when it's released, I'll get my 50-book pin next summer or the summer after.

Kara

Christa said...

and your readers are glad for those 50.

August didn't seem to be a good reading month for me. I only managed to read two of the Sept. Americans and I have the Oct. ones screaming at me too(and boy can 4 of them ever be loud)

Anonymous said...

That makes a lot of books :) Congrats!! and you are still inspired !

Kara Lennox said...

Nathalie--
Yup, don't think I'll ever run out of ideas for books!

Christa, I know what you mean about those screaming books! My TBR pile has overflowed my nightstand.