Thursday, June 28, 2007

Gone Fishin'

Why is it that vacations sound so relaxing...until you actually have to go on one?

Even if my husband and I were going to spend the next week and a half lazing near the water (him fishing, me reading), there's still all the last minute stuff involving the house sitter, cat care, making sure we don't let any bills fall through the cracks and come home to no electricity or water, and I of course had to finish a book (Fed-Exed it today...yay!!!!)

So we have all that done. Is it time to relax? No. No, it's time to get in the van with our four year old and five year old for a drive through four states and down--way, way down--the Texas coast. At which point, tired and cranky, we will pile into a beach house with lots of in-laws and a single restroom.

So, someone remind me, as I stand in the middle of my room trying to get packed, why did I think this sounded restful when I agreed to it? Clearly, I had us confused with some other family's vacation plans!

8 comments:

Estella said...

Know what you mean!

Unknown said...

I think the idea of just being in a different environment makes it sound like it would be relaxing.
I'm sure it will be once you get there. Enjoy it

Kathleen said...

That is the same way for me...until the last day of vacation when I finally am able to relax but have to head back home the next day!

Cheryl said...

Vacation is just too much work, isn't it? But I'm sure it'll be worth it once you get there. Have fun!

Cheryl

Cherie J said...

LOL! I was commenting to my husband after our last vacation that you end up needing another vacation after you come back. That is the way our vacations seem to turn out.

PatriciaW said...

The worst part? Doing all the laundry before you go so that you can pack all your favorites, only to come back to having to do all the laundry again, now that everything's dirty.

Anonymous said...

I agree completely! With me, I'm always anxious to get there and then after a few days, I can't wait to get home!!

Congrats, Tanya on getting your book done and out!

Maureen said...

I always say that you need a vacation to recover from your vacation because I have always found them exhausting.