Sunday, April 22, 2007

HOME TO HOUSTON

I’ll be flying to Houston this Thursday to attend part of the Romantic Times Magazine Convention. I’m really looking forward to the trip. Simple Gifts, my October 06 release, won their reviewer’s choice award. So, I’ll get to attend the awards luncheon on Friday and also be a part of the booksigning on Saturday.
Another reason I’m looking forward to the trip is because I’m from Houston. I rarely get an opportunity to visit since no one in my family lives there any longer. However, just the thought of spending some time there makes me smile. Okay, I’ll say it--returning to Texas always makes me smile.
On Friday night, I’m planning to see Tiffany, one of my best friends growing up. Tiffany and I met when we were placed next to each other in sixth grade choir. Through the years, we did a lot together~dance classes, vacations, sleepovers, dinners at each other’s houses...and drill team. My favorite memories of Houston revolve around high school. I had a close group of girlfriends from the drill team, and I don’t believe I’ve ever had a group of friends like that since. I laughed and cried more with those girls than I do believe I have with anyone else since.
After graduation, I never really went back. My father moved away. Later on, my brother did too. I was in a hurry to finish college and get married. Since then, we’ve been transferred several times and have concentrated on making our home wherever we might be. Memories faded and new ones in other places took their place. Little by little, ‘y’all’ became ‘you guys’ and drinking ‘Cokes’ became ‘soda’ or ‘pop’.
Three years ago, my husband and I took our kids to Houston, to show them where I grew up. Kelly, another wonderful friend, threw a little get-together for us, complete with really good Tex-Mex. Before I knew it, Kelly pulled out a photo album, and then, there we were…looking back twenty years. In a matter of minutes I was laughing and crying just like I used to. My accent came back a bit. And my children had a very quick glimpse of a whole different person other than the one they thought they knew.
So, I’m really thankful to Romantic Times Magazine. Winning their award for my book was unexpected and truly gratifying. Having another reason to visit Houston is an added bonus. I’ll let you know what happened on the 3rd, when I blog again. And, if you happen to be going to RT, too, I hope you'll stop by and say hi!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shelley

congrats on winning the RT reviewers choice award!! Simple Gifts was a wonderful story and deserves the award. Enjoy the RT convention.

Marin Thomas
www.marinthomas.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Marin! I was in very good company, so it was a big surprise to find out I won.

Shelley

Laura Marie Altom said...

Yaaay, Shelley!! Congrats on your RT win!! Have a ball in Houston!!

Marianne Arkins said...

"Simple Gifts" was one of my favorite romance reads of last year. It deserved the win... congrats!

Anonymous said...

Shelley,
Congratulations on the RT win. Yay for you! How nice it must have been to receive the award in Houston.
I didn't know you were from Houston. A fellow Texan and I didn't know it. Your accent has changed. I guess that's why it never crossed my mind. I'm still here saying howdy and y'all.
Enjoy the win. The book was great.
Linda Warren