Thursday, April 19, 2007

Vacation, vacation

Exactly four days from now, I’m off on a family vacation. I live in Seattle and we’re headed to the opposite end of the country, ,sunny Siesta Key, Florida, where the beach is as soft as talcum powder , and the water is heavenly. Once I was among an appreciative group who stood and applauded the magnificent sunset there. I have seen dolphins frolicking in the distance, and swum with the fishes. ☺. Siesta Key is a great place to stroll barefoot early in the morning and enjoy the pelicans as they divebomb into the ocean for fish.

If I’ve made you salivate, I’ve done the same to myself!

It won’t be all play, though. I’m doing a bookstore at Sarasota News and Books, a wonderful independent bookstore. If you’re in the Sarasota area, drop by the bookstore on April 26 between 3:00-4:00. And, since I have a book due in June, I’ll be lugging my laptop along. I figure if I write a few pages every day, maybe after my early morning beach walk and before the rest of the family gets up and running, I’ll be okay.

Which leads me to a question for both writers and readers. When there is work to be done and vacation is here, what do you do? Put the work aside, figuring you’ll do it when you get back? (And if so, how do you push the guilt away?) Take it along and work on it (sporadically, which is better than nothing)? I really want to know.

Ann Roth
It Happened One Wedding, April, 2007
Another Life, April, 2007
www.annroth.net

11 comments:

Christa said...

I don't work so this has never really been a big concern and when I did work any work that needed to be done had to be done on-site.

BTW I'm on chapter 6 of Summer Lovin' (really liking it so far). If nothing comes up then I should have it finished tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Wow. You must be reviewing it?

Christa said...

nope, I have an AR subscription through harlequin and I usually get the books around the 15th a month and half early.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I had no idea they came out so early. Very cool, indeed. :-)

Anonymous said...

If we're driving to our destination, I bring my laptop and work while my hubby drives. It's a 3 1/2 drive to get to anywhere from where I live, so I get lots done in the van.

I don't do a whole lot of writing while on vacation otherwise, unless I've got a deadline, then I fit the writing in whenever I can.

Cheers, Julie Rowe

Christa said...

I think it depends on the line because I also have a Desire subscription and it doesn't get shipped til the 20th so I usually get them the last week of the month.

Anonymous said...

Julie- That's a great idea! You work until you get there. Hmm, maybe I'll try that and work really hard on the flight. And maybe that'll be enough to keep the guilts away. Thanks for the idea.

Anonymous said...

Christa- That's interesting that you get different books at different times. You'd think they'd all come around the same time.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann!
Ah, Siesta Key! That sounds like heaven! As far as work goes, I usually only take printed pages to edit and revise. I seem to only be able to write when I'm sitting at my desk, though I am thinking about getting one of those nifty Dana's...the hightech cousin of the alphasmart.

Hope you have a wonderful time on your vacation! Walk on the beach for me!

Shelley

www.shelleygalloway.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Shelley. I'm looking forward to the break. I don't think I'd like the alphasmart of the Dana because I like to look at a full page and move stuff around. But loads of people love those. You'll have to let us (me!) know how you like using one or the other.

bettye griffin said...

My laptop goes everywhere I go. I have a charger for the car (plus the plane, but I have yet to get on a plane where I've been able to use it.) I've also lugged copyedits and galleys with me. They always have a knack for showing up just before I leave!

Bettye Griffin
www.bettyegriffin.com
www.chew-the-fat-with-Bettye.blogspot.com