Friday, January 12, 2007

The Book's Soundtrack (or the musical part of the writing process)

Okay, I needed an excuse to put Kenny Chesney in a blog. He's my favorite country artist and he just won a People's Choice Award for fan-voted favorite male singer, so I guess he's also a lot of people's favorites. (For more, go to www.kennychesney.com) Congrats to Kenny on this achievement.

I dedicated a book to Kenny (and have the autographed thank-you photo to prove it) and have just about every one of his albums. Most of them have been the soundtrack behind my books.

When I'm writing, many times I have music playing. I set the CD or windows media player to repeat, so oftentimes the CD is played at least three times without my even noticing that I've listened to it over and over. I've written books to greatest hits albums of my favorite 80s bands (yes, I'm a child of the 80s--high school 83 and college 87). I've put in new artists I find and let the CD play. Brain research shows that listening to music can help get a person in her "right brain" which is the creative side. (The left is the logical part--when I edit the room is silent, which is the way I read a book.) Many author besides me have music playing.

Right now I'm also hard at work on Picture Perfect (working title), my November 2007 American. I wrote that to Trent Tomlinson's Country is My Rock, Montogomery Gentry's Greatest Hits, and REO Speedwagon's Greatest Hits.

So do you write to music? Or are you one who has to have silence?

Michele

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like music. I'm very weird though and even if I don't have music on - I almost HAVE to have the earphones on. It's like part of the process for me. Very bizarre beings I can still hear everything going on around me if there's no music. LOL.

I've been working on playlists for different types of scenes, and even for characters - but I've gotten really out of touch with music lately so it's mostly hits from the 80's. It definitely isn't the stuff that my kids listen to. ;-)

Cindy Taylor said...

I listen to music while writing. Most of the time it's Sirius 80's Hair Bands (another child of the 80's) or Country. But for some reason, lately I've been listening to the American Standards channel. I don't usually listen to this kind of music, but it's hitting a chord with me.