Saturday, December 16, 2006

The small, round, gray, heavy rock….

Have you ever read a book where the author has strung several adjectives together to describe something as simple as a rock?

As a writer I'm always searching for ways to move readers to tears, laughter, fear or even anger--and one way I attempt to do this, is through Description. How I use words to depict character, setting and emotion can be the difference between a good book and a memorable book.

I often argue (with myself, my husband, the dogs, whoever will listen) over the right word. I make my living putting words down on paper but some days I leave my desk feeling gutted, defeated and totally inept at my job. Suddenly something as simple as describing the heroine's eyes…. turns into an hour in front of the computer screen hacking out phrases like …her sea-foam eyes, her blinking indigo-orbs, or other such dribble. But writers are human and once in a while I raise my white flag and type …Her big blue eyes….

Having admitted that, I will say that when I revise my manuscripts I try to pay close attention to sensory detail. If used properly, the reader will be able to imagine the shape, color, smell, size or texture of the person, place or thing I'm describing. Keep in mind that memorable description rarely details how something looks--purple, large, long, heavy etc.

I've been guilty of using lovely, old and young (sometimes there's just no other word that works.) But I attempt to use them sparingly because adjectives such as old and young don’t play to our senses. Words like scratchy, kinky, sticky, sand-covered help the reader experience the object. Good description creates the illusion of reality. Sensory details that soak into the reader's consciousness will encourage them to become more emotionally involved in the story. And we all know that the key to a good romance is… EMOTION!

So, how would you describe a small, round, gray, heavy rock???

Happy writing and reading!

Marin Thomas

2 comments:

Mary said...

Marin, you're so right about description--it's not easy to write. Sometimes, I'll leave cetain words or phrases until I'm finished the manuscript before I find "the one" that fits. As you say, description and the senses are vital to a story. Without them, the characters walk and talk in a void.

Marin Thomas said...

Mary,I agree. Sometimes finishing the manuscript makes more sense before agonizing over "words" and "phrases". I find it amazing how many times I will re-word something until I'm happy with it and then during the line-edit stage I'll delete the whole thing because it doesn't add anything important to the story, lol!

Ah, the joys of writing and re-writing!