Saturday, December 30, 2006

Me time

As we wind down 2006, I've been taking a little time for me. My daughters left on Tuesday for a holiday visit with their father, freeing me up to do, well, nothing if I wanted.

Their visit came at an ideal time because I've been sick since before Christmas, fighting off a virus that has left me totally congested and unable to breath clearly despite medicine. As time marches on, I'm finally on the upswing. The antibiotics wiped out the infection before it began, but unfortunately the virus itself simply has to run its course, and that means 10 days.

So I have to admit to having lazed around watching television. I've caught movies, watched specials, and just whiled away--which is something I usually never do. I'm a to-do list type of person, never resting until the last thing is checked off.

I'm off work this week, and whenever I felt better, I sat down at my computer and did some writing. I'd take breaks, and then watch TV. In fact, I was awake, idly lounging around, when the news broke in about both Gerald Ford and Saddam Hussein. I watched CNN. I caught up on lot of things I didn't know, watched an episode of Numbers that I really liked. All these things will filter into my works in progress in little, subconscious ways.

As for writing, I got the entire first draft of Picture Perfect (due March 1) done. I'll edit it over the next few days. I'm also working on another (rejected) manuscript, changing it around to take it in what might be a new direction for me. I hit my goal of what I wanted to get done. I've also used this me time to do some introspection about what I want to do for 2007. So often I don't take the time to really sit and think. I don't let myself while away. I'm on such a life treadmill that I push myself too hard and too fast and forget to refill my creative well. In fact, think about it. I'm sick on a week when I'm off work and can take the time to simply rest up--isn't it nice how my body knows when to slot everything in?

On the eharlequin boards, people are celebrating as they get their Great American Romance contest entries in the mail and I lift my glass of orange juice to them in salute. It's a great accomplishment to finish something and put it out there for someone else to read. I wish them all the best and good luck. I also wish them some me time. Now that it's in, take a little break. Allow yourself some well earned rest. Reflect on all the positives. Celebrate the successes. You are a writer and you deserve it. Refill that creative well.

See in you 2007.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'll take some of that me time, Michele, thanks! LOL. I have way too much to do to take much time off though. I guess that's what you get for procrastinating too long. Congrats on getting the rough draft done! You are such an amazingly fast writer!

Cindy Taylor said...

Michele, you and I had similar situations this holiday. I've been trying to recover from the flu and spending more time that I should on the couch watching TV. I did get some writing done. Laundry's piling up, though. Ugh!

Congrats on finishing your first draft!

Michele Dunaway said...

Cindy,

Laundry? You mean I have to do that???

Sigh....Knew there was something I forgot to plan on.

I hope you feel better soon!

Tammy, happy holidays and enjoy at least a day or two!

Kara Lennox said...

Michele--
I'm addicted to my To Do list, too, so when I do laze around and watch TV, I feel horribly guilty! (Unfortunately I do it anyway!)(It would be better NOT to do it, than to do it and feel guilty, IMO.)

Hope you're feeling better soon! Lots of people get sick over the holidays 'cause of the stress.