Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Count your blessings

The past week has been as rough one for Seattleites. On Thursday, December 14, a ferocious wind and rain storm rocked the area, destroying transformers, pushing down huge trees, and snapping power lines. For a while an estimated 1.5 million were without power. By lat Tuesday the number had decreased to 200,000—still far too many. Streets are without stoplights, some gas stations are closed, and in certain parts of town, grocery stores are giving away perishable food. It’s been cold here, too, making matters even worse.

We were lucky—only lost our power for 14 hours. For those of you snug and warm in your homes, count your blessings!

Speaking of counting your blessings, Winter Solstice is almost upon us (December 21). This year my husband and I have decided to usher out the shortest day of the year with a party, complete with a blazing fire, roasted chestnuts, lots of food and drink, and good friends. What could be better? If all goes well, we plan to make this an annual tradition.

There is one more wonderful piece of news. A few days ago I sold two more novels to Harlequin American. Hooray! Both stories take place on fictitious Halo Island, that is loosely (very loosely) based on San Juan and Lopez Islands, which are part of the San Juan Islands in the Pacific Northwest.

If anyone reading this would like to share their good news here, I’d love to read about it.

For now, whether you celebrate Winter Solstice, Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanza and/or something else, I wish you warmth, love and joy.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ann--

I'm grateful for friends--old and new alike. I'm grateful for my health and that of my loved ones.

I'm grateful for my fellow writers and the readers whose enthusiasm keeps us all employed. 8-D

Enjoy your party on Thursday--sounds like fun. Wish I could be there.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your blessings, Alexis. I'll drink a cup of hot rum punch for you!

Jacquie Rogers said...

Happy Holidays to you, too, Ann!

I'm one of the luckiest people on this planet so I have lots to be grateful for during the holiday season--a decent place to live, a husband who loves me, grown children who actually turned out to be compassionate, productive, intelligent adults (yes, we did have our trials!), and wonderful friends like you.

My son keeps badgering me to tell him what I want for Christmas. I don't know what to say--what more could I want? Having all three kids and their families home for the holidays would be good, but hey, I don't want to push my luck. :grin:

Happy Holidays to All!!!

Jacquie

Anonymous said...

Aw gee, Jacquster. I love ya right back. :-)

You are indeed fortunate to have a loving family and good friends. And smart enough to feel gratitude for both.

Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays to you, Ann (you know how special you are!)...and to all Harlequin American Romance authors. Thank you for sharing your gifts...and giving aspiring writers (like me!)...hope and inspiration with your wonderful stories.

Jennifer in chilly Cleveland, Ohio!!

Anonymous said...

You're pretty darned special yourself, Jennifer!

Thanks for stopping by.

Gerri Russell said...

Ann,

Congratulations on the newest sales to Harlequin American! Can't wait to read about Halo Island. :-)

Glad to hear you all made it through the storm unharmed.

Warm Winter Solstice hugs to you!

--Gerri

Cindy Taylor said...

Hi, Ann!

Oh, I have too many blessings to count right here, so I'll just share a few.

I'm thankful for my family, near and far, my friends all over, and for the wonderful year I've had with both.

Congrats on the new sales!!

Lee McKenzie said...

I hope you’re having a wonderful time at your party, Ann. Tomorrow I’ll be grateful that the days will be getting longer.

Christmas Day is my favorite day of the year and I’m so fortunate that my whole family will be here at home. This year I’m especially grateful to celebrate the holidays as a published author—perhaps one of Harlequin American Romance’s newest!

Warmest wishes to all for the happiest of holidays,
Lee

Anonymous said...

Lee, Gerri, and Cindy-
Thanks for adding a comment. The Winter Solstice party was a great time! We're going to do it again next year!

Happy Holidays, everyone.

With gratitude for your love and support,
Ann