Monday, June 24, 2013

Summer Living

Also known as barbecue season at my house. Here in the Pacific Northwest we tend to barbecue year round, but during the summer it's virtually every day. I love it because cooking outdoors means less mess in the kitchen and the food, while delicious, tends to be fresher and simpler.

Summer is also salad season, so I thought I would share this delicious potato salad recipe with you.


Lee’s Favourite Potato Salad

1-1/2 pounds red-skinned baby potatoes
1 sweet yellow pepper
2 or 3 green onions, sliced
1/4 pound sugar snap peas
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon dried dill (or 3 tablespoons fresh, chopped)
salt & pepper to taste

Cut the potatoes in half, cook till tender, drain and set aside to cool. Cook the peas in boiling water for 1 minute till they turn bright green, chill under cold running water and drain. Core and chop the yellow pepper into bite-sized pieces. Put the chilled potatoes, peas, pepper and onion in a serving bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard and salt & pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad, toss and enjoy. Serves four.

I love this salad because it's colorful, quick to make, and stores better than a salad with a mayonnaise dressing.

For those who enjoy collecting recipes, feel free to drop by my website and request a set of Ready Set Sold recipes cards. They're not just free, but I pay the postage! The newest recipe is for Lee's Luscious Lemonade, which just happens to be the same lemonade Maggie makes in Maggie's Way, my latest Harlequin Heartwarming.

While you're at my website, feel free to sign up for my newsletter, Life in the Slow Lane. One of the perks of being a subscriber is being eligible to enter my monthly contests.

Happy reading! Happy summer!

Until next time,
Lee
Daddy, Unexpectedly (Harlequin American Romance, May 2013)
Maggie's Way (Harlequin Heartwarming, May 2013)
www.LeeMcKenzie.com/

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious. I love potato salad, and the lightness of the recipe is appealing. Will try.
Best
Jo-Ann

linda s said...

Sounds delicious, just like your other recipes. We barbeque year round, too. But the first dinner outside in the gazebo means summer really arrived. Loving your new releases.

Angela Hood-Ross said...

I am definitely going to try this recipe. I love to Barbecue outside and living in Alabama, the weather is almost perfect anytime of the year.

Lee McKenzie said...

I hope you enjoy it, Jo-Ann!

Lee McKenzie said...

Thank you, Linda! We're looking forward to a long summer of patio dining!

Lee McKenzie said...

I hope you enjoy it, Savannah! I envy your weather. We can barbecue in the winter, but we definitely eat in indoors!

Anonymous said...

I love potato salad with red skinned potatoes. Thanks for sharing your recipe

Lee McKenzie said...

You're very welcome, Tammy! Enjoy!