Thursday, November 15, 2012

Changing Times

To say life has changed for me this year is a bit of an understatement. The biggest change and the one that kicked off most of the others is that I took an early retirement offering from my employer. Now, just to set the record straight I always laughed at those people who retired and then said that they were so busy they didn't know how they ever had time to work. Well, I get it now. Sorry my friends for ever doubting you.

I'm a doer. I don't know how to stop when I have a goal. My first task was to clean house. I don't mean dust and mop. That stuff got done before. We're talking about cleaning closets, spider webs, baseboards. Toss out all that stuff that collects over time that seem to fill every available shelf or cabinet. Every time I leave the house, my car is full of old books to sell.  Or clothes to donate. Or DVDs to take to the movie exchange. The trash truck guys probably cuss me.  Goal: To get back to being a minimalist if it kills me.

Now lets talk about Yahoo Loops. All the folks who accepted the early retirement offer started a loop. I'm on other loops, but this one keeps my email box full of all the things that MUST be done.  Financial decisions. Medical decisions. Update or write a Will or Trust. A career placement service. Resumes, classes, and trying to decide what I want to do when I grow up. Did I mention that I'm really not old enough to fully retire?

Okay, now that I've made your eyes glaze over, the one thing all this has done is to make me thankfull. I'm thankfull that I have these options. Some people don't. I now have time to slow down enough to smell fall. Like fireplaces and bonfires. Time to consider all the wonderful things in my life. Like that I now have time to spend with my aging mom. Time to play with the grandkids before they get big and don't want to hang out with Grammy. Time to take a short getaway with a friend. Time to help out family members who still have jobs. I can pick up kids at school or run errands. The calendar is full.

The first cold front blew through this week and added to the Thanksgiving mode. The leaves are changing and we have a fire in the fireplace this morning. Time to slow down and enjoy the holidays. Lots of family headed this way next week for Thanksgiving, including my mother-in-law this year. So exciting.  The grocery store yesterday was already in chaos and I was able to actually enjoy it.

So what are you thankfull for this year?

9 comments:

Sasha Summers said...

Hi Pam - Happy early retirement! I'm thankful for my family and fr my husbands employment! I know how hard times are for so many, and we're truly blessed.
Enjoy the holidays with your family!

Pamela Stone said...

Thanks, Sasha. Wishing you and yours a blessed Thanksgiving also.

BW said...

I am most thankful for my dog. She will be 13 in December and she has been a diabetic for 3 1/2 years that is under control for the most part. She has been a joy in my life.

Pamela Stone said...

Hi BW,

My Pomeranean is also 13, last July. He's going gray and his eyes and ears aren't working up to par. But I love him. He is certainly a joy, even if he is a little bit of a pain sometimes. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Pamela Stone said...



I'm in an opposite place in my life right now. Trying to work MORE and earn more money so I can pay off bills from when I was a stay at home mom. I feel like My house is a disaster and I have no time. :( But I still want to enjoy family and the holidays. Going off to Memphis this year to spend Thanksgiving at sister's house. I'm thankful that all my kids are able to take off work and come with.

Juliet/Jillian Burns (Posting for Juliet as she is POST challenged today.)

Linda Steinberg said...

I told you so! (giggle) Got back from vacation Tuesday night and had a class yesterday morning, kept grandbaby last night, today I taught a class and had a doctor appointment. I'm on my sixth load of laundry. Unlike you, though, after six years of retirement my closets are still cluttered and my baseboards still dirty. Thanks, though, for the validation.

Pamela Stone said...

Hi Linda. Welcome home. Hope Hawaii was amazing!

Amanda Renee said...

I'm thankful for joining the Harlequin family and being so warmly welcomed by all of my American Romance sisters. It's been a pleasure getting to know you over the past few months :)

Anonymous said...

You enjoyed grocery shopping?!?!?!?
I knew retirement was changing you, but that was a big surprise! So glad you are enjoying it & I hope we can get together for a girls time out!