Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Veterans Day and WWII

After living in Waxahachie over two years, my husband and I finally went to the Veterans Day festivities this year. They had set up both an American and a German camp and they did battle for the bridge coming into town.There were vintage vehicles and airplanes. People dressed in vintage WWII uniforms and costumes. Even an evening USO show with Georgie Burns. Sorry, Bob Hope couldn't make it this year.




Such a wonderful opportunity to honor all the men and women who have served this great country, both past and present. So proud of my dad, sons, daughter-in-law, uncles and all the other people out there who have served.



WWII has always seemed like such a romantic time period to me. I grew up listening to my parents stories about how my dad was a tail gunner in a B-17. How my mom left her parents’ farm during the war and moved to Dallas to find a job. Looking back at my dad’s pictures from overseas. Many of the war and the planes and even a few of him dancing with women he met while in the military. He actually returned after the war ended and taught dance for a time. He was the king of the jitterbug. Our house was always filled with music . He’s been gone nearly twenty-five years, but I still treasure his vintage big band record collection.


Anyone else have a particular era that they find romantic.

8 comments:

Pamela Stone said...

Good morning everyone. Just testing. I've had two emails already this morning that people were unable to post.

Anonymous said...

Great comment, Pam. Thanks for posting - Debby

chris keniston said...

don't think i consider any other tie romantic - but i love the music of that era

one of my deepest regrets is that my aunt tossed my uncles record collection after he passed - I'll never forget a dorsey album he had with a then little known singer- frank sinatra- THAT was music!!

Pamela Stone said...

Thanks for stopping by.

Chris, I love that music. Brings back such wonderful memories. It had...soul. I'm one of those few people who still own a turntable. Ha!

Juliet Burns said...

OMG, I LOVE the 40's era costumes and vehicles! How cool to get to see that. I wish I'd known about this, maybe I can come down there next year and see for myself.
WAY cool way to spend Veteren's Day, Pam. Thanks for the photos and for helping me celebrate our fighting men and women of every era.

Pamela Stone said...

Hi Juliet. Thanks for stopping by. Come on down. We'd love to have you next year. It was lots of fun. Very inspirational.

linda s said...

My Dad didn't talk about the war at all. We only found out my uncle got a medal of bravery by finding the story in a very old newspaper clipping on the internet. He was shot three times as he took out several snipers and a maching gun nest to secure a bridge head. He still never mentions it.

Pamela Stone said...

Hi Linda. My dad didn't talk about it too much either as far as the actual war or what he did. He was willing to share stories of specific friends he made and of a few things they did. But the war stuff, he kept pretty quiet. The one story I remember him talking to an uncle about was flying over the Alps with 3 out of 4 of their engines out. My uncle passed away earlier this year and that was the first I knew that he earned a purple heart. Again, pretty silent.