Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Small Town Here We Come!


After living in large cities all my life, I'm finally going to be a small town girl! We look the plunge and bought a lake house in Mineola, Texas, which is about an hour and a half from Dallas. The house we found is a Victorian farmhouse style, two story home on Lake Holbrooke. Yes, it's peach, but it kind of works! Even my husband likes the color. There are big trees all around it. The house looks old, but it was built in 1994 and is modern where it counts - central A/C!
Living in Mineola, at least on the weekends, will be a real treat for me. It was one of the first places I visited when I was going to set a book (The Bachelor Project, HAR#844, Sept 2000) in a fictional small town. As program director of Dallas Area Romance Authors, I organized retreats to a wonderful bed and breakfast there in Mineola. We would sit out on the second floor balcony and talk writing (and maybe drink some wine) until we were all so sleepy we couldn't keep our eyes open. We usually went during the Iron Horse Fall Festival, the first weekend in November. The weather was cool and crisp and I think everyone had a great time. For me, though, the small town atmosphere of parades, local restaurants and stores, families and friends, really made an impression. I interviewed the chief of police in Mineola to get a feeling for law enforcement in a more rural area. Mineola had about 5000 people then and 5600 now.


The kitchen in the lake house is so cute. There are white cabinets with glass fronts, curtains instead of bottom cabinet doors, a gas stove (I haven't cooked on gas since 1971!) and a screen door that goes out to the back porch. The porch stretches the entire back of the house and is one of my favorite features. I can imagine sitting out there, much like we used to sit on the balcony of the B & B. I don't think I'll ever get tired of looking at the lake. It's just beautiful. We went there on Sunday and the water just glistened from the autumn sunlight. There is a small dock for fishing or to tie up a boat, which we don't have. My son-in-law is in charge of getting a boat! My husband and I know nothing about boats. But then, I don't know a lot about country living, either, and I'm willing to learn. Maybe I'll turn into a small town girl yet. After all, Mineola does have at least one coffee shop that sells books, and I'll bet I can order up some good local gossip with my latte.

9 comments:

Linda Henderson said...

I grew up in a small town (less than 3000) so I am very familiar with small town living. Even though I don't live there anymore there are times I miss the small town atmosphere. I know you will enjoy it.

Linda Warren said...

Love it! It looks cozy and quiet and beautiful. Enjoy the small town ambience.
Linda

Nicole's Book Musings said...

The house looks real nice. I love the lake. What a view to look at!

Pamela Stone said...

Hey, Vicki. Congrats! It looks fantastic. Love the house and especially the lake view. We've also moved to the country this year, north of Waxahachie. No lake, but out of the city with a really cool patio and back yard. You and I can talk about city girls trying to learn to be small town girls. Ha! I might be closer to you in Mineola than Dallas.

Megan Kelly said...

WOW, you get to live in a vacation dream house. It's darling! Thnx for posting pix for us.

shelley galloway said...

Oh, Victoria,

Your house just looks darling! I love the kitchen and that view! Can't wait to hear about all your adventures boating!

Shelley

Laura Marie Altom said...

This looks DREAMY!!!! Major congrats on making such a fun move!!

Unknown said...

Hi, everyone, from Memphis, TN. We're on our way to Louisville, KY for my 40th high school reunion. Thanks for your comments and congrats. If you're ever in Texas, let me know. Maybe we can have an HAR retreat in Mineola!

Victoria

Laura Marie Altom said...

A retreat sounds awesome!! Anyone else up for fun?

Have a great time at your reunion, victoria!!