Sunday, October 18, 2009

My New Granddaughter

August and September were very trying months for my family. My newest granddaughter, Payton McKenzy, was born in the afternoon of August 10. She was four weeks premature. Late that night, it was discovered she had Transposition of the Great Vessel (TGV), a congenital heart defect. Two holes in the wall between the two chambers of her heart (Ventricular Septal Defect VSD) were keeping her alive.

Payton was airlifted via helicopter the next day from Wichita to Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City. Because the staff wanted to her to grow a little, Payton’s surgery wasn’t done until September 8 and expected to go very well. But at some point during the operation, she had a reaction to something, but the surgery had to continue. The reaction produced edema, which caused acidosis, and her respiration and blood pressure dropped to dangerous levels, prompting the staff to call for the crash cart. My daughter called at 7:30 that evening, after the surgery was over, to tell me that Payton wasn’t expected to last an hour.

It was nearly 9 p.m., after finding places for my other four grandkids to stay, when we started the 3+ hour drive to Kansas City. We kept in touch on our cell phones, but there’d been little change. We made good time, in spite of driving through thunderstorms, and arrived at Children’s Mercy at 12:20 a.m. Around 4 a.m., my oldest daughter, her husband and 7-year-old daughter arrived, and the staff had started to see some slow improvement. By 10, Payton was considered out of immediate danger, and we were on our way home.

Payton came home September 28, with her heart working as it should, but she returned to CMH October 3, this time by plane, because she was having some feeding problems. Her second homecoming was October 10, and although it’s been an adjustment period for everyone, especially her, she’s doing well.

Thanks to the many friends and family for their prayers and thoughts. Even the staff at CMH calls Payton their little miracle. As a dear friend said, this is the kind of story books are made of. Maybe someday…

The Discovery Channel - The Surgery That Saves Little Lives


Linda Henderson said...

May God bless both our Paytons. My granddaughter Payton was born at 23 weeks and spent 4 months in the NICU and she is our miracle baby. I pray your Payton does as well as ours has.

PamStone said...

So happy to hear that both babies are doing well. Makes one count their blessings. I love hearing the success stories. Life is so precious.

One of my coworkers 7 month old little boy had a stroke back in August. We'd never even heard of such. But thanks to wonderful health care professionals, Joe is slowly regaining use of his left side. He's still got a long road of therapy ahead of him, but life is looking promising.

Anonymous said...

Wow Barbara. I had no idea you were handling something like this. I'm glad Payton pulled through and I hope she continues to do well.

Linda Warren said...

My heart goes out to your family. Hugs and prayers all around. I pray Payton continues to do well.

Roxann Delaney said...

Seems there are a lot of miracle babies out there. Thanks to modern medicine and especially the power of prayer, more babies have a chance to be miracles.

Linda, how wonderful your Payton is doing well!

nicolerko said...

When my cousin who is now 11, was born she weighed 1 pound 1 ounce. She was 4 months early, stayed in the hospital for 4 months. Was very tough on the family. She had heart surgery, they didn't think she was going to ever talk or walk, but now she's in 5th grade and doing everything. It may take a bit to learn things the other kids would learn quickly, but she's our family's miracle baby.

I'm glad your granddaughter is home and doing well. She's adorable!