Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Miscellaneous Stuff

It's been a crazy summer in the Dunaway household. Unlike those headed to RWA, I'm staying home. It's not that Washington DC doesn't hold appeal. In fact, I'll be there in November, same hotel, for a high school scholastic journalism convention.

It's hard to believe that for me, summer is almost over. It's been so busy, and I haven't done anything or really been anywhere. But look at this week.

While everyone is at RWA, I'm going to write the book that's due Aug. 12. My younger daughter has an arts day camp that week to learn how to draw art and anime--and I have to drive her the 40 minutes to get there and then find somewhere to pull out the laptop and work as it's only 3 hours, and not worth my going home.

My older daughter is spending three weeks at Truman State University, living in a dorm with other 7th-9th graders. I drove her there yesterday (7 hour round trip for me). Her class is computers in art and design. However, the entire experience is phenomenal and she grew so much as a person last summer. My good friend Jenny (from high school) arrives into town July 16 for a ten day stay with her daughters. My birthday is July 14, so I might celebrate that. Maybe not. :) I can't pass for 29 any longer.

Next Monday is is a yearbook camp I need to be at for a day. There's still that proposal I need to write. Books to read. Exercise to do. Errands to run. That book that I must finish.

School for me starts July 28, so my "full time" writing days are numbered. But I got a lot accomplished this summer, even though it's the miscellaneous stuff. But when you add it up, it seems more significant.

I have had time to relax, something I don't get to do since 9 months out of the year the alarm goes off at 5:20 AM. I've been reading. There's nothing like finishing a good book about one a.m. and not having to worry about the alarm in the morning.

Michele Dunaway
BACHELOR CEO--out now

6 comments:

Marcie said...

You are definitely busy and your daughters sound very creative!
I must say it was nice to know someone isn't going to Nationals. I can't go this year, and have never been, but reading blogs about people shopping and the parties they will go to - made me kind of envious. I'm sure there are others not going - they aren't talking though!
I hope you find a shady spot to work on your story while your daughter is in camp!

Michele Dunaway said...

Thanks Marcie.In this uncertain economy, RWA was just an expense I couldn't justify. With shopping, dinners, hotel and registration, it's also about $2,000. It's wonderfully beneficial, but not when I have a book due, and not when my daughters and I would like to do a trip to Beijing and Hong Kong China in a few years, or a few other places. That's what we are saving for. So when I think about missing RWA I have to remember that long term goal. Oh, and that I have a book due and for some reason never can write for at least a month after returning from RWA. I don't know why, but I can't.

Word verify: exact. Cute.

EllenToo said...

I think it's wonderful that you and your daughters are planning and saving for a trip to HongKong and Beijing. Your daughters must be as talented as you are- just in a different way.

Michele Dunaway said...

thanks Ellen. They are both very interesting kids. Lots of fun. They are finally both getting to the age where travel is a lot of fun--and doesn't need to involve a theme park.

The China trip is actually an trip arranged by Adventures by Disney. It sounds amazing.

Marcie said...

Yikes - RWA costs about that much? I was thinking today how do people eat - but like you said, you have to eat out and that can add up fast. Looks like if I plan to go - better save now!
And, IMO, you have your priorities in order - your family and you have a book due. Not a good sign when you can't turn in a book on time. Thanks for being so candid.

Michele Dunaway said...

Marcie,

Registration for RWA was like $425. I forget how much hotel is, but even split, at minimum think $400. Then there's airfare, transfers to the hotel, the clothes for the RITA event or Harlequin party (that I literally wear once and never again) etc. etc.

So yes, it adds up very quickly. While most of it is tax deductible as a business expense, I'm a firm believer in priorities and family is at the top of the list. Kate and I are headed to Chicago I think next week. I think when they are older (one is 14 and one is 13) and they can entertain themselves, then maybe they can travel with me to stuff like this when I'm so very busy.