Thursday, July 30, 2009

Craft Idea--Blessings Box

Blessings Box

My best friend of 46 years received this as a gift from her great-niece and shared the idea with me. It's especially wonderful to have on those days that nothing seems to be going right.

Buy a small (no larger than 8 X 10 inch) box with a lid from a craft store. Either wood or heavy cardboard will do. It should be unpainted and undecorated, because you'll be doing the designing!

Paint and add stickers, glitter, or stencil small drawings or short inspirational messages on the outside of the box. Whatever suits YOU. Also paint the inside. When all is dry, add a small notepad of paper and a pen or pencil. The pad can be glue to the lid of the box for safekeeping.

Whenever you think of a small blessing that makes you smile, whether it's the sun shining after a rainy day, the way a kitten's whiskers tickle, or the simple blessing of a child's smile, write it on one of the note papers, fold it, and put it in the box. When you're down and need a pick-me-up, go to the box and take out one "blessing" to read. It will lift your spirits in the gloomiest of times to be reminded that even in the midst of a storm, there are many blessings to be thankful for.

Roxann Delaney
http://roxanndelaney.com

5 comments:

EllenToo said...

What a wonderful and unique idea.

Leigh Duncan said...

Fabulous idea. We all need an occasional reminder of the blessings in our lives.

TappityTapTap said...

That sounds like the perfect gift for my 80+yr old mother also... with a few tweaks like special memories it would be really special.

Penny Rader said...

I love this idea, Rox! Thanks for sharing it.

Penny Rader said...

Oops, I meant to add that it's sooo cool that you have a friendship that has lasted 46 years! I think that's pretty rare these days. (Then again, maybe I'm just the odd one out.)

My mom has two ladies that she's been friends with for 45+ years. And my youngest sister has a group of friends who have been super close since their high school/college days. I'm quite envious.