Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Conference, workshops and writing mini-series...

I’m busy getting ready for the Romance Writers of America National conference, too. I’m so excited to see my friends again, to attend informative workshops, to listen to fabulous speakers, and to cheer on our Harlequin American Rita finalists. My critique partner, Lindsey Brookes, is a double finalist in the Golden Heart awards. So I’m going to be cheering myself hoarse. I can’t wait. Fortunately the awards ceremony is after the workshop I’m presenting with Harlequin American senior editor Kathleen Scheibling. Our workshop is about writing mini-series within series romance. We’re going to discuss the when, how and why authors might want to write a series. I’m going to share some of my experiences, and Kathleen is going to share her wisdom and expertise. She’s going to be awesome! (Hopefully I don’t make too big a fool of myself with my nervous rambling. )

I’d also love to hear your comments about mini-series. What do you love about them? Do you have to buy every book in the series before you start reading them? Does anyone prefer stand-alone books that have no other related stories?

Thanks for your feedback!

Lisa

PS: We’re also going to be celebrating Harlequin’s 60th Anniversary! I’m so proud to be writing for the publisher of the books I’ve loved reading for so many, many years!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally think writing a series is the most incredible marketing/selling tool there is for an author. Obviously, the first book has to have loveable characters in order to have readers hooked, but with writers as talented as yourself (and all the other HAR authors), that's not a problem. Think about it. Your tapping into the one thing your readers can't resist...their own curiosity. It's the same thing that makes television soap operas a success, so why not in books?

I don't usually by all the books in a series up front, but if I love the first one I read, I will then go out and buy all the rest of the series. It becomes an addiction...and who doesn't want their readers addicted to them! LOL

I'm not published yet, but I'm looking forward to your talk at RWA!

Trish Milburn said...

I love series books -- be they category, single title, romance, urban fantasy, mysteries, whatever. I love getting really invested in a character(s) and a setting and being able to come back and revisit it many times.

Looking forward to seeing you (and screaming for Lindsey with you) next week!

Lois said...

I love series, mini or longer. :) We get to revisit old friends and look forward to longer visits with others. But sure, at times I like a good stand-alone too.

As for when I read them -- it depends. If there is a series coming out over consecutive months, I wait to get them all, then read. If it's more of a yearly, biyearly release, then I'll read the first, reread previous ones when the new one comes out. And I sure don't mind that because since I liked it the first time, I love rereading, and I always forget stuff! LOL :)

Lois

Lisa Childs said...

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback! It reinforces my own opinions about series. I LOVE them for the reasons you stated -- finding out what happens to some of those scene-stealing secondary characters and visiting old characters -- and for building readership. Well, hopefully building readership.

Trish, can't wait to see you again! It'll be fun screaming Lindsey onto to victory! I think it's definitely her year!

Ellen, thanks for your kind words! I wish I knew more than I do -- so I really appreciate getting other people's perspectives of series!

Thanks again!
Lisa

Estella said...

I enjoy mini-series books. I read them as they come out.

Vanessa said...

Hi Lisa, I enjoy mini-series books because whilst the stories are different, the backgrounds are inter-related. If like the consistency of a particular author's writing style and I like the "world" they have built, I can go back for more! I usually try one first and then buy the whole lot to work through if I really liked it. Looking forward to your workshop at the Conference in Nashville. I am coming from Aus and will be my first! Good luck! Vanessa. http://twinklesparkleshine.wordpress.com/