Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Conference Jitters...

Like so many others I’m getting ready for the National Romance Writer’s of America conference in Washington, DC. Being a Rita finalist gives a whole new meaning to the word nervous. I’ve finally decide to just relax and enjoy this incredible moment in my life. I haven’t accomplished that, but I’m working on it.

It’s been easier the past few days because things have been hectic at my house. I’m working on line edits and trying to keep in mind all the things I need to pack for the conference while getting ready for a book signing on Saturday. My brain is on overload and it’s difficult not to get stressed out. When I feel stressed, I gazed out my window to the lake in our backyard. Something about water is very soothing to me, and I love watching the ducks and the geese. Some Canada geese have made the lake their home and the pictures are of babies born in April. They’re much bigger now, but still fun to watch.


This week I’ve looked out my window more than usual, but once I board that plane I’ll relax and enjoy myself in DC. Rita night will be nerve wrecking, but I plan to enjoy that, too, especially getting to meet Cindi and so many others. I love meeting old friends and making new ones. It’s going to be an exciting conference. I hope to meet some of you there.

Do you have any stress-relieving tricks? Please, please share. I haven’t been on a plane since writing Texas Heir. That will be nerve wrecking too, but I’ll just gaze out the window. And search for water.

Linda
www.lindawarren.net
Caitlyn’s Prize – July ‘09

6 comments:

Leigh Duncan said...

When I'm under stress I remind myself to...Breathe. Take a few deep breaths every once in a while. And trust that it will all work out.
(I'll be rooting for you at Nationals!)

Linda Warren said...

Leigh,
Thank you.

Deep breaths. That's a really good suggestion. I'll be taking a lot of deep breaths. LOL

housemouse88 said...

Hello Linda,

Congrats on the nominee. I've got my fingers crossed for you. I read when I'm stressed. I don't think you could do that at the awards ceremony. Have a great day.

Linda Warren said...

Roberta,
Thank you. Yes, reading is relaxing. I'd forgotten that. It helps to get my mind on something else.

Thank you for sharing.

Megan Kelly said...

Linda, Congrats! You *definitely* have to enjoy this moment. It's a milestone. My advice is read the excellent advice I received yesterday regarding nerves. Breathe, know we're friendly faces who are rooting for you. You won't see us individually, but we're there for you.

Linda Warren said...

Oh, Megan, thank you so much. I feel better already.