Friday, May 15, 2009

WHAT IS IT ABOUT AN ALPHA MALE?






This is my very first time to blog with the Harlequin American Authors. I'm so thrilled to be here and to be a part of this talented group of writers.



When suggested that I attempt the topic of alpha males and why women love them, I found myself at a bit of a loss. I love them. I’m told by my critique partners that my heroes are 100% alpha. But I discovered that even though I’m a writer, I have a difficult time putting into words what makes a guy alpha. So I did what any intelligent 21st century person does; Googled Alpha Male.
In searching site after site, there were obvious recurring themes.
Alpha dog - Leader of the pack - The alpha dog is the dog to which other members of the pack are submissive. Alpha dog is often used in both domesticated breeds of dogs and in wild wolf societies to express the leadership characteristics of the dog to which all other dogs defer. The dominant male—ie the one with the most physical prowess and strength—wins the right to breed with the females in the pack. This primal instinct ensures that the species will continue. Read this last sentence very carefully. Talk about goal and motivation.
Alpha dogs exude confidence, maintaining control through body position, facial expression, and the occasional nip or snarl at beta members of the pack. I laughed out loud at this last comment, realizing that my heroes do on occasion snarl at other males. Whodathunkit?
The human alpha male is a natural leader. He responds aggressively to attempts by others to overthrow or outshine him. My alpha heroes may achieve dominance by more subtle means than say a physical fight, but if challenged, they aren’t afraid to fight for their position of power.
In some social settings, alpha males may be judged not so much by aggression, but by their ability to attract the most beautiful women as mates. To this end the alpha male is often taller than average, has a muscular build, and handsome features. In today’s society, he often also possesses a high socioeconomic status.
In high school settings, generally the alpha male leads the pack. He’s typically muscle-bound, sometimes the “jock,” while beta males tend to be less assured around females and may participate in less “male” activities. I dated a few of both types and enjoyed the nuances of each. But in keeping with the statistics, found the alphas more intriguing. My father was an alpha. I’ve been married to an alpha over 30 years.
This one last comment pretty much sums up my feelings about Alphas. “Alpha roles should be defined in humans as leaders that promote communal succession (thrive, grow and prosper) that harmonize environmentally with our ecology.” This goes right along with the Alpha dog analogy. Alpha’s are not only physically strong enough to survive, but also posses superior intelligence in order to keep the rest of their pack safe and ensure that they survive and prosper. Now who would have ever thought of an Alpha as a nurturer? Tough yes, a macho approach, sure, but a nurturer/caretaker just the same.

16 comments:

Diana Cosby said...

Hi Pamela,
Alpha males are definitley an intriguing mix. I'm finishing up the 3rd book in the MacGruder Brothers' series now, and my hero is the oldest brother, alpha male, Seathan MacGruder. By far, this was the toughest book to write as he has control issues. *G* But, like most alpha's, he has deep internal issues he tries to cover with confidence.
Thanks for the fun article/topic. Have a fabulous weekend!

Diana Cosby
www.dianacosby.com
Romance Edged With Danger

Pamela Stone said...

Thanks for stopping by, Diana. Seathan sounds like my kind of hero. Aaron in my July release, Last Resort: Marriage is alpha. I had a blast writing him, but had a few issues controlling him and I'm the writer.

Nancy said...

Pam, I hadn't thought about it before, but the alpha would have to display caretaking and nurturing - and peacemaking, perhaps - to insure group survival. Fabulous blog!!

I tend to write alphas, and at some level, I would lay odds we all do. Even if the classic, more obvious alpha qualities may not be as blatant.

Food for writer thought this weekend! :) Have a great one yourself, Pam!

Light,
Nancy Haddock
LAST VAMPIRE STANDING

Marin Thomas said...

Pam--great blog!

Yep, there's something sexy about a take-charge kind of guy. It's fun writing the Alpha male because you know his words and actions are going to ruffle the heroine's feathers and then the sparks fly!

Marin
Samantha's Cowboy (Aug 09)
www.marinthomas.com

Pamela Stone said...

Thanks for the comments, Nancy and Marin. It is fun to pit an alpha against a feisty heroine and watch the fireworks. Makes for an entertaining read.

Renee Knowles said...

Hi Pam,

I have a weakness for alpha males too :) I think what makes them work is if you can pair their strength with a core of goodness and realness. Not only tough guy bravado, but depth.

You do that great! Looking forward to your release!

Renee
www.reneeknowles.com

Pamela Stone said...

Thanks, Renee. This whole experience of a first book is amazing. And I'm so happy to share it with Aaron and Charlotte and their story.

Kay Thomas said...

Hi Pam

Great blog. I hadn't really thought through all these nuances of the Alpha male either.
I'm certainly looking forward to your debut this summer and Last Resort: Marriage!

Hugs,
Kay
www.KayThomas.net

Pamela Stone said...

Thanks, Kay. This is an exciting year for us both, my friend.

Unknown said...

Hi Pam-

great blog entry. I too am drawn to alpha males- love to read about them...and if I can someday find a real live one too, that would be wonderful :)
I think part of their appeal for some women (me, I admit it) is that they just take charge. You can depend on them and trust they will do whatever needs to be done well. Sometimes in this crazy world it's nice to have that big alpha shoulder to lean on. And as someone else noted, you have also given me food for thought as I work on a new story this weekend- I am in midst of character development...and you know my hero will be an alpha male!

Juliet Burns said...

Pam! Great blog, CP!
I love that last part about being a nurturer too. I never thought of an Alpha like that before either. I'm a nurturer by nature, I think and so that character trait appeals to me. Like Jennifer said, it's nice to be able to lean on someone else when your down and weary...
And, having been lucky enough to read Last Resort: Marriage already, I can attest to the fact that Aaron is sexy, alpha , and takes care of Charlotte even when she doesn't even acknowledge she HAS needs. Mmm, does he take care of her needs...

Pamela Stone said...

Jennifer, thanks for joining. I agree about the take charge part. As irritating as it can sometimes be, if I was stranded on a deserted island, I'd want an alpha to fight all those bears and help me survive.

Juliet, that nurturer part snuck up on me too. It's already in my book and I didn't even realize until I was writing this blog that it was an alpha trait. Go figure.

Estella said...

Great post!
I'm looking forward to reading your book.

Pamela Stone said...

Thanks, Estella!

Linda Steinberg said...

Great article, CP. I guess the Alpha Male would have to be a nurturer for all the females to be attracted to him. They know they can count on him for protection when they are raising their young. The masculine male allows the female to be feminine. Aaron is definitely alpha and he sure brings out Charlotte's feminine side!

Linds

Pamela Stone said...

Thanks, Linda. This has been fun today. I do love my alphas.

And thanks to everyone who joined in today and made this special.

Pam