Thursday, May 21, 2009

How Much is Too Much?

First, let me wish you a very good weekend as we creep toward Memorial Day here in the states. I say "creep" because my assistant at my office is out with her seriously ill husband, and we're all thinking of her family as we try to fill in her duties. I haven't written a bit in two weeks, at least. At night I remember how tired I used to be after working full time, writing and taking care of the family. (I've been working part-time and writing part-time for years, and quite frankly, I'm spoiled.) I'm faced with the reality that I'm not as young as I used to be! Energy really does go down as we get older. I've been trying to stay awake in my favorite chair every evening as I watch a few shows! (Favorites include Castle, Medium, Survivor, Dancing With the Stars and Amazing Race.)

As I think about writing and one of my favorite reality shows, Dancing With the Stars, I'm reminded that our heroes are a bit of reality and maybe a little more fantasy. I'm thinking of Ty, the champion cowboy (bull rider, I believe) who competed on the show. He was a pretty awkward dancer at first, and turned into a fairly talented entertainer near the end. He never lost his "aw shucks" mannerisms and down-to-earth appeal during the interviews. He also showed great determination, all of those being heroic traits. However, if we were writing him as a hero in one of our books, we might make him look a little bit more like Gilles, the tall, dark and handsome movie star. The reality is that bull riders are usually lean, strong, and not so tall.

I know that the traits that make our heroes appealing are based more in their backstories, personalities and values than in their looks. Mixing all of those together in an attractive package is rather difficult, at times. Sometimes I struggle with getting compassion and strength balanced. Sometimes I lose perspective and can't tell if the hero is believable or not. When this happens, I thank heavens for my critique partners, who will tell me if I've missed the mark.

My questions are: How important is reality when you are reading a novel? Is believability the most important element to you? How hard is it to suspend disbelief, and is there one type of hero that is more difficult for you to like (or fall in love with?)

Again, have a great and hopefully long weekend. Maybe we'll all get to sit a while in our favorite chair, perhaps even with a good book!

2 comments:

Pamela Stone said...

Hi Victoria,

Sorry to be so late in chiming in, but, well, you obviously understand the working life. And after work tonight, we went to a wedding. Puts one in the romantic mood. Small, intimate, romantic, second wedding for both. But we've known the groom for 26 years and I must admit, I felt that he has what it takes to qualify as a hero. Honor, love for his bride, and a great appreciation for what he's found. Average guy, not particularly tall or muscular. Basic working class, nice guy and I could so see him as a hero.

I have a difficult time with heros who are too perfect. The flaws make them human and if they are too perfect, I have a hard time suspending my disbelief.

Victoria Chancellor said...

Hi, Pam. Yes, I agree that we sometimes do feel we must make our heroes too perfect. However, I'm glad that an editor has never asked me to make my hero more handsome or my heroine prettier. I try to make each of them have at least one physical aspect that is appealing to the other: eyes, smile, hair, etc. I clearly remember one Loveswept book from many years ago because the hero was only five feet, nine inches. (Which, really, is the average man's height, I think.) Come to think of it, though, I don't remember much about the conflict of the story, just that he was shorter than the usual hero. I suppose most of us are married or in relationships with men who will never win a cover model contest. Remind me to tell you about the cover models I met in Houston several years ago. :)