Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Simple Pleasures




I spotted these pink tulips in the grocery store the other day and almost walked right by them. They were gorgeous, but I've been trying to watch our budget and $10 for flowers seemed like a big splurge.

But they were so beautiful and on impulse, I bought them. I brought them home and put them in a vase, then remembered this pink ribbon I'd saved from a candy box and tied that around the vase.

I think they're beautiful and I can't tell you how much pleasure they've given me. Every time I pass through the living room and see these tulips, I smile. I count it $10 well spent.

I'm not always good about indulging myself with little pleasures, but I'm getting better. For instance, last time my favorite dark chocolate bars were on sale, I bought a bunch and stashed them in my closet. They are my own secret pleasure -- a little bit of luscious chocolate all for me.

And books -- who could forget books? A paperback book is one of the best cheap pleasures around, even in these expensive times.

What secret pleasures do you indulge in?

4 comments:

MJFredrick said...

When I worked in the job from hell, I would buy myself a bouquet every long weekend or holiday. It would just make me happy.

Now I buy plants and dig in the dirt if I'm stressed, which isn't as often ;)

Lee McKenzie said...

Cindi, your tulips are gorgeous! I love the color.

I often stop at a little corner store that has fresh flowers in buckets on the sidewalk. That's just one of the advantages of a Pacific Northwest winter! For $1.59 I buy a big beautiful gerber daisy and keep it in a bud vase on my desk. Gerbers come in a range of colors and my choices probably reflect my moods, but my favorite is the bright hot pink.

Cindi Myers said...

I love Gerber daisies. Even one fresh flower really brightens a place, doesn't it?

Estella said...

Gorgeous tulips.
My one indulgence is books, books, books!