Sunday, March 08, 2009

A NEW BOOK...AND WHAT IF...


I have a new book out this month (Yay!), The Sheriff of Horseshoe, Texas. The cover is to your left and right. The art department and Kathleen did a great job with the cover. I love it! It’s part of The Men Made in America Series

Yesterday, I had a book signing and thank God nothing really weird happened. I didn’t sign anybody’s name wrong or call a person by the wrong name. Or the absolute worse—can’t remember someone’s name when they come to every book signing. Geez, that's embarrassing. I got everyone’s name correct so I feel like I had a good day. Hate those signings when I want to crawl under the table.

At every signing someone always asks, “What’s the book about?” Well, this book is a fun book. Think Paris Hilton meets a young Clint Eastwood. The idea for this story came out of the blue. My husband and I were returning home one evening and a highway patrolman had a red sports convertible pulled over. A blonde was driving. Her Hollywood sunglasses were perched on the top of her head. She was smiling. The patrolman’s arm rested on the top of the windshield as he leaned in slightly with a this-is-my-lucky day grin. I told my husband the blonde would not be getting a ticket.

That little scene stayed with me for a while, and I started the “what if” theory. What if the officer wasn’t so easy? What if the blonde had done something really wrong? On and on I kept asking the questions. Soon I had answers and a story. So if you want to find out what happens when Paris Hilton meets Clint Eastwood, pick up a copy of The Sheriff of Horseshoe, Texas. It’s a blast.

Have you ever seen something that triggers a story? It happens to me all the time. The other day I was waiting for my cousin in the car while she went into the post office. A young couple came out, all lovey-dovey. It was an “ah” moment—young love. His arm was around her waist as they walked to their car. She was talking on her cell. All of a sudden she pushed away from him, slammed shut her cell, and I could tell by the hand gestures and the loud voices that they were arguing. People walking by turned and stared. She then threw the phone at him and ran to her car. He threw up his hands and watched as she sped out of the parking lot. Picking up the phone, he went back inside. I didn’t expect that much action at the post office.

I haven’t come up with anything for that scene, but I’m still thinking about it. Authors are naturally curious or in my case maybe just nosy. I wondered who she was talking to on the phone. What did they say to her? What do you think? Want to play what if?

Linda
www.lindawarren.net
Mar ’09 – The Sheriff of Horseshoe, Texas
July ’09 – Caitlyn’s Prize

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the cover too.

penney said...

I'm guessing the phone is his and she was listening to his voice mail messages and he got one form another girl so she slam it shut and threw the phone at him and ran off! I like the sound of your new book and love the cover, can't wait to read it.
Penney

Linda Warren said...

Kimmyl,
Thank you. It's always a nervous moment before I look at the cover. This one was great!

Linda Warren said...

Penney,
I like that. And what if they were at the post office to mail wedding invitations. Oh yes, that would give her a really good reason to be angry.
Thank you. This is fun.

EllenToo said...

First of all let me tell you that I have read "The Sheriff of Horseshoe, Texas" and really, really got a kick out of it.
Since she threw the phone at him and he picked it up it must have been his. She was listening to voice messages but the one she heard was another woman talking about what a great time they had the night before. But I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and the woman who left the message was either angry at him and trying to get him in trouble or got a wrong number and didn't realize it. This doesn't make really good sense since the woman would necessarily know the girl would check the voice mail---so that's why you are an author and I'm not. LOL

Linda Warren said...

Hi Ellen,
Oh, I'm so happy you enjoyed The Sheriff of Horseshoe, Texas. Thank you.
I was quite a distance away, but the girl seemed to be talking on the phone. And they both seemed happy until...she got angry. And in public. I agree, it had to have been his phone. I'm still mulling it over.
How do you like this Texas weather?
Goodness, it's very warm here. Time for the AC.

Megan Kelly said...

Doesn't anybody think he would have picked up HER phone for her? lol But I agree, she wouldn't have thrown her phone. She'd need it to call her bffs for support. I get more ideas from things I see or overhear than the newspapers. And your cover is gorgeous!

EllenToo said...

Linda - this weather is something else. I've had the air conditioning on part or all day for the almost the last month. There has been no real winter here on the coast.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it interesting how we automatically assume he's cheating on her? Maybe it was her phone and she got so upset she had to throw something. Say they did just mail wedding invitations - then she finds out her best friend - her maid of honor - refuses to attend because the guy's brother did something really stupid. So the girl gets mad at her guy for his brother's stupidity and that's why he throws his hands up in the air.
-Marcie

Linda Warren said...

Megan,
Thank you. The covers have been so great.
I can't see her throwing her phone. She threw it right at his chest like a weapon.
What got me was they were very happy and then in a blink of an eye they weren't.
Like you Megan, I get ideas from every where and drive myself nuts trying to sort out the story--like now.

Linda Warren said...

Ellen,
I know what you mean. Our AC is on. It looks as if we're going straight into summer. Grrr!!

Linda Warren said...

Marcie,
Great! Now there's another scenario. But being a woman I naturally ssume it's the guy's fault. It's more fun that way.
Now you've given me a lot to think about--changing my whole train of thought. My brain feels like it's on steroids.

Hope Chastain said...

The real challenge is whether he's her Mr. Right and if he can patch this up! Maybe the phone rings, and it turns out he's in trouble with the police or some bad guys....after promising her that he'd given up gambling.....(I read too many thrillers, LOL.)

Yes, I'm like you. I'll see things or people that set me off imagining things, or get a title in my head, or a snatch of song or rhyme, and I need to make a note of it before it escapes. I think it's part of the gift of the creative nature. Maybe the rest of the world thinks we're a little crazy, but they couldn't write a good story to save their lives. Keep up the good work. LOVE the cover! And the book sounds delightful!

Linda Warren said...

Hi Hope,
Now you have new twist. Haven't even thought of that angle. Could be a romantic suspense.
Yes, creative people are a little crazy. Our minds work a little different. And I hope that's agood thing. LOL
Thank you for stopping by.

penney said...

Hi Linda Yes that sounds good I like it to being at the post office sending out wedding invites it would make a good story!
Penney
>
I like that. And what if they were at the post office to mail wedding invitations. Oh yes, that would give her a really good reason to be angry.
Thank you. This is fun.

Linda Warren said...

Penney,
Yes, it would. Now the mind is buzzing.
Thank you for playing.