Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

They say a rolling stone gathers no moss – no kidding! The way I’m tooling along there isn’t a rock, a stone or a pebble that could catch me. Busy is my middle name. I think I mentioned in a previous blog that we have our house on the market. I must be the master of bad timing. No nibbles, very few lookers and yet I feel like I have to keep it company clean every day. That must be hope springing eternal.

So along with everything else that’s going on we decided to upgrade our countertops. The company promised it would take a day for the tear out and installation. But you know what they say about promises and assumptions. Guess what – the old countertops were ripped out and the new ones didn’t fit. And when the installers blithely said we’ll see you Tuesday (that was Thursday) I replied with “Bad Answer. Try again.” Add a glacial glare and a killer frown to the equation and they returned on Friday. However, we’ve been without a kitchen sink for four days.

Plus (and this one’s really big) I had to do some major revisions on my February book (HAR The Man She Married) and I only had two weeks to get it back to my editor. Add in I’m trying to get ready for the RWA conference and an open house the week after I get home, and you have a major case of stress. So thanks for letting me vent. Everything’s going to be A-okay. There’s that hope thing again.

Now here’s a favor I’d like to ask. The reason we’re moving is to be closer to our kids and grandkids. We’re focused on Virginia and if anyone has any first hand knowledge (good, bad or indifferent) of Winchester, Fredericksburg or Williamsburg please let me know.

Thanks and have a great week.
Ann DeFee

HAR The Man She Married, February 2009
HAR Top Gun Dad, TBA

1 comment:

Jill Kemerer said...

Ann, I lived in Fredericksburg, Virginia for 16 months before moving back to the Midwest in February.

I miss it. Fredericksburg burrowed into my heart. People flock to the downtown section for the old world charm and antique shops. The outlying areas are new with skads of shopping.
Several historical sites attracted my attention: the Civil War battlefields (downtown at the stone wall is particularly amazing), Mary Washington house (yes, George Washington's mother: the house is restored for tours), Chatham Manor (one of a few houses both George Washington and Abraham Lincoln visited and was used as a hospital during the civil war), and Gary Melcher's house (he was a famous artist and his art studio is on the property also).
The town is sprawling, but not overwhelming. There are two very nice YMCA's with tons of activities for all ages. DC is only an hour away. The Blue Ridge mountains are an hour and a half away.

The only cons for the area are true of Williamsburg also: tons of traffic, high housing costs.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me: jrkemer@charter.net. My husband tells me I could be a tour guide for Fredericksburg!

Good luck,
Jill Kemerer