Saturday, June 07, 2008

Summer

Finally! I thought when I stopped substitute teaching and my children became teens and no longer needed--or wanted--my direct supervision, I'd care less about school being out. Not so. I now get to sleep in another 45 minutes!!, since my son's summer school classes start later and there's no bus to catch. Of course, no bus means I have to get somewhat dressed ;) to drive him there before getting myself ready for work. I'll only have to harrass one kid about getting homework done and bedtime, and he's good about both. But I feel free, as though released from some dreaded duty. And I used to like school as a kid. It's puzzling.
Why does it seem I have more time to write? That I can stay up later now?
Is there some magic to the words "school's out" that stirs the kid in me? Are you feeling it too?

4 comments:

EllenToo said...

When I was teaching I felt just like the kids-- I could stay up later, sleep later, run around in sloppy clothes.......

Megan Kelly said...

I'm looking forward to all that! :) Maybe the magic isn't just for kids.

Phoebe Jordan said...

"School's Out" are really magic words that stir any person who has to go to school and classes. I know I felt that magic when I finally finshed all my Finals for the Spring semester. I was so excited that I would have a couple of months to myself without all the stress of classes, assignments, exams and so on. I'm relieved that I got that over with and now I'm use to being a college student. I really have no ultimate plans for the summer as of yet. I do have a writing goal since I want to become a romance writer one day I want to write and finish my first manuscript by the end of the summer. I have done some research and I've bought "how to" books on writing romance to help me and I've got a notebook that will keep my notes and character profiles and family trees organized.

I set up a goal to write at least 800 words minimum and 2,000 words maximum each day. It's a contemporary romance so I don't have to do any historical research. I've been trying to find a critique partner but no such luck as of yet. As for reading goals I do have a goal to finish reading my very large TBR pile that consists of more than 100 new books that I've bought the last past couple of months since the year began.

Megan Kelly said...

Ivette, congrats on finishing out your semester. Reading all summer sounds wonderful! I'll also be finishing a book by the RWA conference at the end of July, so less reading for me, I guess. You won't have to do historical research, but contemporary romances also require research. It's amazing to me still. Good luck with finishing your ms.