Tuesday, April 08, 2008

WHAT ARE YOU WATCHING...

I’ve been bitten by the TV bug. Normally I watch very little TV except for the news. Scrubs is on late at night and I watch it to unwind from a day of writing. It’s crazy and funny, just what I need at the end of my day. Usually my story is running through my head as I try to figure out if I’m going in the right direction with my book. So I don’t invest too much energy into the show.

For the past few weeks March Madness has taken over our TV. Texas A&M, our local university, men’s and women’s basketball teams made the NCAA tournament and the women went on to become one of the teams in the Elite Eight, but lost to Tennessee. But we were hooked. I’m not that much of a sports fan so I’m excited I’ve widened my horizons. I wrote during the day so I could watch basketball with my hubby. I do believe someone has taken over my brain.

Of course, while commercials were airing I had to see what else was on. This annoyed my husband because he didn’t want to miss any of the action. About the third game I think he was secretly wishing I’d go back to writing. He wouldn’t admit that, though. I had to check in on American Idol, too, because a local kid, Jason Castro, is still surviving. Have to support the local kid. That’s what I told the hubby. He doesn't understand that women can multi-task without a problem.

Now I’ve really gotten hooked on Dancing With The Stars. I love that show. I had to go the bedroom to watch it. The hubby was getting really, really annoyed. It took me awhile to recognize Priscilla Presley, but she can dance. She said Elvis taught her a lot of dance moves. I found that interesting since the man seemed to have rubber hips. Kristi, not even attempting her last name (the gold medalist figure skater) is a natural. But then she knows all those graceful moves. Jason Taylor. Wow, he’s a hunk. I could look forever into his beautiful eyes. The rest of him is not bad either.

Well, basketball season will be over tonight and I’ll be holed up in my study again as I have deadlines ahead. It was nice to go TV crazy during March madness. I may have to record Dancing With The Stars, just to see who wins.

So what are you watching…

21 comments:

Estella said...

My tv is also tuned to March Madness---and baseball.

Jennifer Faye said...

I don't watch too much regular television. I have Gilmore Girls and MASH on dvd that I will play in the background while doing other things. And if I remember, I record soap operas (you've got to love that they don't have reruns) and will play them in the evening while I am doing other things. I'm not good at just watching television. Dh knows if I'm not doing anything but staring at the tv that either I'm utterly exhausted or I don't feel well.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how or when but somehow I went from a person who never watched TV to someone with a list of favorite shows! (Some of which I watch in real time, some of which I buy on DVD--Buffy, Veronica Mars, Gilmore Girls). In general, I try not to keep up with LOST, Battlestar Galactica, Eli Stone, Supernatural and Grey's Anatomy. When all the darker hour long stuff is too much for my brain at the end of the day, I veg out to How I met Your Mother, Top Chef or (my son's favorite) Deal or No Deal, which we watch as a family. During baseball season, we watch every Astros game we can, but since they're a Texas team and we live in GA, a lot of them aren't televised here.

Tanya

Anonymous said...

>>>I'm not good at just watching television. Dh knows if I'm not doing anything but staring at the tv that either I'm utterly exhausted or<<<

You know what, in scanning over the comments, I think I found the answer to why I watch so much more TV these days! I'm still a big reader, but that takes FOCUS. Now that I'm folding laundry for kids and stuffing promotional bags for writer conferences,etc, I have the TV on more because I can do that and tackle whatever busy work needs to be done. And having two kids and two publishers seems to create lots of extra work :-D

Christa said...

I've been watching some shows lately that I don't normally watch like Idol because a friend likes in MN and we IM during the show and say like I really like/didn't like him/her(good judges we would not make, Simon's job is safe) and lately there just hasn't been anything worth watching on. With some shows starting back up, I don't know if there are any must sees. I've gotten into the grove of reading most nights or playing on the computer. Besides some of the filler shows I would start liking and then sudenly they disappear. Where's Lipstick Jungle?

Anonymous said...

I'm a firm believer in folding laundry while I watch TV! That way, there's less guilt about flopping onto the couch.

Dancing with the Stars is one we can't fold laundry during, it interrupts the toddler's "dance floor".

Linda Warren said...

Estella,
Please don't get me started on baseball. I have a book to finish.
Linda
(I'm having a hard time posting. I keep getting kicked off. I hope this does't come through a dozen times)

Linda Warren said...

Jennifer Faye,
I love Gilmore Girls and when Mash was on my husband and I watched it all the time. But lately, with writing, I spend very little time in front of the TV. I have to feel really bad to do that, too.
While I eat lunch I will turn on a soap. It usually Y&R or OLTL. Depends when I eat. Now that can get addictive.
Linda

Linda Warren said...

Tanya,
I'm impressed that with two kids, home and family, and writing you have time to watch tv. You have to share your secret. If I watched tv, I wouldn't get any writing done, like in March. Now I have to force myself to stay in the study when hubby has the tv blaring. I need to be more organized.
Grey's Anatomy was one of my favorite shows. It used to come on on Sunday nights so I was able to watch it. When they switched the show to a week day, I haven't seen it since. And I miss it.
Watching tv is a way to unwind for me. I can detach from my story for a while and get lost in someone else's story, like reading. I think all authors need that every now and then.
Linda

Linda Warren said...

Christa,
I agree. There not much to watch. Reading is wonderful. Thank you. Don't forget to buy a few Americans. They're great and will keep you entertained.
So who's your favorite on Idol?
I haven't heard of Lipstick Jungle? You'll have to enlighten me.
Linda

Linda Warren said...

Heather,
You can't look away while watching Dancing With The Stars - you'll miss something. Laundry will have to wait. Maybe during the commercials, which seem to get longer and longer.
You have a toddler who dances? That has to be adorable.
Linda

Anonymous said...

Linda, I'm actually trying to post the video from last season on my blog. I may be biased, but it is adorable! She was laying on the couch, and I noticed that every time a couple came onto the dance floor, she would get up and dance. When the song was done, she'd lay back down through scores and commercials.

If I do figure out how to post the video, anyone who watches must promise to not rate my mothering skills by the saggy diaper! It got changed as soon as the song was over, I promise!

Christa said...

Linda
Don't worry all May AR are already in TBR pile.
I think I'm liking David A and David Cook this season. Brooke White started strong but she is kind of losing steam.
Lipstick Jungle is about three woman. Two are excertmely successful and hold positions that men would normally hold and you see struggles like keeping a marriage together or raising a family. The other woman was a very successful deigner but now she has fallen from grace. Brooke Shields stars and is a book by the same author as Sex in the City. It was in the ER time slot

Linda Warren said...

Heather,
You have to post the video so we can all see it. And I will definitely not rate your mothering skills. Saggy diaper probably makes it even cuter.
Linda

Linda Warren said...

Christa,
Thank you for buying the May Americans. We love you.
I'm going to see if I can find Lipstick Jungle. It sounds interesting.
Linda

Linda Warren said...

Tanya,
I missed this. GO ASTROS.
Linda

Jennifer Shirk said...

Ugh. I'm an American Idol junkie. LOL!

Linda Warren said...

Jennifer,
Then you're an expert. Who's going to win?
Linda

Anonymous said...

Linda (and anyone else who wants to see), I have posted the video on my blog.

Linda Warren said...

Heather,
Please tell me how to get there. I'm dying to see it.
Linda

Linda Warren said...

Heather,
I found it and she was just adorable. The perfect gift for grandparents 700 miles away. Thank you for sharing the video.
A budding writer? Great! American is a great place to start. Wishing you all the best.
Linda