Friday, April 11, 2008

Are you an Innie or an Outey?

I'm talking "introvert" or "extrovert." I think most writers are introverts. We turn to writing because we spend a lot of time alone, exploring our own thoughts. Most of us read a lot as children, which didn't do much to turn us into party animals.

It's not that I don't like people, or that I don't like to socialize and party and meet new people. In fact, I went to a writer's conference last weekend (Dreamin' in Dallas) and I looked forward to it for weeks. A couple of days in a hotel with other writers, away from day-to-day responsibilities, always sounds like a lot of fun, and it was. I reconnected with people I hadn't seen in a long time, made new friends, soaked up some good information, got inspired by some great speakers (Lori Foster and Kresley Cole). I got to wear some new clothes. I gave two workshops and had a pitch meeting with an editor. I ate large quantities of bad-for-me food and hung out in the bar drinking gin-and-tonics.

But by the time the conference was over (Saturday night) I was ready to go home. I was more than drained; I was genuinely exhausted. It took me several days to recover, and I grumbled if my husband even suggested I might want to leave the house for any reason.

Right now, I feel I could be very happy stranded on a desert island, never talking to anyone. (Well, okay, a desert island with a plug for my computer and an Internet connection. And a couple of good restaurants.) The older I get, the more I exhibit these hermit tendencies.

Being an introvert is great for writing--I get lots of it done. On the other hand, if I don't get out occasionally and live life, I run out of things to write about. I've been known to build an entire book around a chance comment made by a stranger.

I believe most writers are a little bit crazy, too, but that's a subject for another blog!

So how about it, fellow writers and readers. Introvert or extrovert, and are you happy with what you are?

9 comments:

Jennifer Faye said...

I'm most definitely an introvert, but I do like to get out of the house every day for a walk and some casual conversations at the park. And I like to go to town on the weekends with Dh. I get a little stir crazy in the winter when I don't get out enough.

Now do I like being an introvert? Well...sometimes but I wouldn't mind being an extrovert. I keep trying to coax my kids into being an extroverts. I think extroverts have it easier in life. Any extroverts out there to weigh on who has it easier?

Lori Foster aka L. L. Foster said...

Believe it or not, I'm an introvert most times. But lately... I do love a captive audience! :-D I'm glad my lunch speech didn't bore you. LOL

The Dallas con was fabulous.
Hugs!

Lori

Estella said...

I am very happy as an introvert.

Anonymous said...

I would much rather sit in the corner and watch everyone than be in the middle of the action. When I have to be deeply involved with everyone, I feel drained and grumpy by the end of the weekend.

Even when we don't have "stuff" going on, I need my time alone. Luckily, my husband understands that bunkering down in the bedroom doesn't mean I'm upset, just that I need to be alone for a bit.

Kara Lennox said...

Jennifer--I like to think that those extroverts who are always the life of the party are secretly terrified ... I honestly think there are advantages to both. Like, don't extroverts get tired of being "on" all the time?

Lori--It was a great speech, just the right tone. The Dallas group really does put on a great conference.

Estella--yay, good for you. The world needs us. Otherwise, who would be an audience for the extroverts?

Heather--Yeah, it took my husband a while to understand that whole "alone time" thing but he has learned to respect it.

Lori Foster aka L. L. Foster said...

Thanks Kara.
And yes, it gets tiresome being "on" for long lengths, which is why I do a lot of hiding in my room at conferences. I need to regroup and let my "smiler" relax a little. LOL

Hugs to all!

Lori

Michele Dunaway said...

Okay, anyone who knows me knows: extrovert. Big time.

Sigh.

Michele

Marianne Arkins said...

I'm such an introvert it isn't funny. I really, really hate to be around people, even people I like, for very long. I just want to go crawl back into my cave.

The Shytrovert said...

Of course life is easier for extroverts, society is designed to accommodate their needs. There are more of them, and they set social expectations.

For instance, in job settings you are expected to socialize with others - go to lunch, hob nob, and so on whether you meet with clients or not.

It is not enough to come to work, do your work well, and be pleasant. You need to be "visible" or in the case of my job listen to every inane story my giggly sorority sister-seeming boss spouts or not be seen as a "team player." What? Doing my job and helping my colleagues with theirs is not being a team player?

When you don't have the ideal personality type, you will meet resistance. When you do, naturally life is a breeze. If our culture was designed to accommodate introverts, extroverts would have a tough time of it and it would be easier to be an introvert.