Saturday, March 08, 2008

Missed Moments....

Good morning everyone,

Yesterday was a crazy day here in Texas. When my husband went out to get the paper at 6 a.m. it was snowing. I didn’t believe him at first but yes, it was snowing in March in Texas. It’s was mostly snow flurries and since it was 34 degrees the snow wasn’t sticking to the ground. But it was beautiful to watch.

My husband went to work and I sat in the breakfast room, drinking coffee and watching it. We live on a lake and I could barely see the water for the snow flurries. At times it was heavy and others very light. We have geese and ducks on the lake and they’ve been there since we moved here eleven years old. The geese are two white and one gray. I named the white ones Henry and Henrietta, the gray Harry. I know which are male and female because in the springtime Henry and Harry would chase Henrietta all over my background—looking for love. Sadly one night about five years ago a bobcat got Henrietta and almost got Harry, too, before a neighbor heard the ruckus and intervened. Harry now has a broken wing. Now the two males are alone and in the springtime they attack each other. I guess just to have something to do.

Yesterday morning I looked out and saw Harry, his neck strained toward the sky, his beak snapping at the snowflakes. I guess he thought it was food from heaven and he was going to eat his fill. Crazy goose. But I laughed myself silly watching him. At times he strained so hard his plump body shook, his broken wing flapped wildly and his web feet almost left the ground. Crazy goose!

When my husband came home I told him about Harry and his antics. He asked, “Did you get a picture?” It was one of those moments, like in the V8 commercial; I wanted to smack my forehead. I never even thought of the camera. The sun was out by 9a.m. (crazy Texas weather) so getting Harry on film isn’t going to happen again any time soon. I’m still smacking myself.

Does that ever happen to you? The older I get I’m afraid it’s happening more often. But that’s another blog. I’d love to hear about your missed moments.

Have a wonderful Saturday. We have Sunshine again. Yay!

Linda Warren
Texas Bluff – Super Romance Feb 2008
4 ½ Stars RT
#8 Waldenbooks Series Bestsellers List
Always A Mother – Super Romance June 2008
Texas Heir – American Sep 2008

9 comments:

Estella said...

We very seldom get snow where we live. I love to record it in pictures. Thank goodness it doesn't last very long.

Christa said...

You don't actually want us to feel sorry for you regarding the weather, while I sit here in 25F weather that feels like 11 listening to the wind howling and snowflakes swirling and it's not supposed to take a break til Monday.

Anonymous said...

Hi Estella,
We rarely get snow here either. That's why it was so crazy yesterday. Even the goose was confused.
Linda

Linda Warren said...

Chista,
Oh my gosh! Where do you live?
I saw on the news where its snowing in so many places. I guess that's why we got the snow flurries down here.
Warm thoughts coming your way. Stay warm. Spring is around the corner.
Linda

Christa said...

hi Linda
in Ontario, Canada, in the Niagara area, so I'm sure our weather was a little milder. The weatherman lied , but it still only 16F(feels like 0). It did stop snowing sometime early this morning. But it still must of been coming down all night cause the car that was uncovered yesterday was covered again today. This weather has been crazy. All this snow will probably melt by the weekend when it's supposed to snow and rain again.
And the head smacking moments happen to me too

Marianne Arkins said...

Someone needs to get those poor geese some ladies :-)

I can't help it. I love a good romance.

Linda Warren said...

Christa,
We have snow very rarely here in Texas and I've never lived anywhere else. I'm curious. How do get around in the snow, go to the super market and things like that? Or do you just stay home when its that bad?
It's always fun to see the snow, like Friday, but I don't think I could handle the heavy snow. I'd probably stay in all the time.
I hope the snow melts soon in your area. But it can also give you time to read. Hey, that's good.
Stay warm and I'll be thinking about you in all that snow.
Linda

Linda Warren said...

Marianne,
I told my husband the same thing. Those geese need a female. LOL
They actually belong to the people across the lake, but they spend a lot of time in our yard. I keep hoping they will buy another female goose. And if I ever see one for sale, I'm buying her. Not sure where I would go to buy a goose though. Maybe I could put an ad in the paper: Horny goose - need female badly.
Thanks for the laugh.
Linda

Christa said...

I usually call someone(mostly parents for ride) to do grocery shopping. Since I live alone I general know what I need for the month and get groceries at the beginning of the month. I have an apartment sized freezer that is now about half full. When my friends are home and live in the same building I also get them to take me at times. If the weather is bad like that I don't go anywhere. If worse comes to worse there is a little convience store around the corner so I can pick yp thinks like milk or bread.