Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Power of Positive Thinking

No one likes to be sick and I’m sure there isn’t a person on the planet who likes being in the hospital, but I’m of the opinion that the power of positive thinking goes a long way to helping a person feel better and get well. This philosophy of mine was put to the test two weeks ago when I had surgery, followed by a two-and-a-half day hospital stay.

I was in a room with two other patients, a man and a woman, both elderly. The man had recently recovered from pneumonia, probably had emphysema, and was in the early stages of delirium. He kept taking off his oxygen tubes and getting out of bed without calling the nurse. The staff was concerned he’d fall break a hip, so even my first night, while I was still coming out of the anesthetic, I was having to buzz for the nurse to come and help the poor old fellow.

On my last night there, a nurse pinned the call button to his gown so he couldn’t get out of bed without calling her. But in the middle of the night he took off his oxygen and the gown and went to the bathroom, stark naked! Then the next morning, after yet another trip to the bathroom, he said to the nurse, “There’s a water problem on the floor in there.”

“What kind of water problem?” the nurse asked.

“I peed on it,” he told her.

In my opinion, the nurses all deserved gold medals. They had infinite patience with him, and although they seemed to be run off their feet, they did their very best to keep a close eye on him.

The other person in my room was one of the most cantankerous old women I’ve ever met. There didn’t seem to be much wrong with her, yet she never stopped talking about how terrible she felt, how much pain she was in, and how the incompetent doctors and nurses were doing nothing for her. She even complained to the cleaning staff, the people who deliver meals, and other patients’ visitors. It turned out that her malaise had been brought on by taking too much of two different kinds of medication. She lived alone, but I suspect needs to be in a care facility where her medication can be monitored. The nurses did their best to make her comfortable, although how they kept their patience with her I’ll never know. She didn’t acknowledge anything they did for her, and her litany of complaints never let up.

While I was recuperating, I did my best to let the staff know I appreciated the care they were providing and all the attention they were giving me. And because of that, I think I got even more attention than I deserved. One nurse helped my daughter fix my hair, which had managed to turn itself into a matted mess. Seriously, I managed to take a bad hair day to a whole new level. Another nurse helped me have a shower.

In spite of the great care I was receiving, it was a huge relief when my surgeon consulted with the nursing staff on my third morning there and decided I was ready to go home. Home! I was finally able to get a good night’s sleep, which further strengthened my resolve to think positively. Now, two weeks later, the surgeon says that as far as healing goes, I’m in the top five to ten percent of the population, and that I’m now at the stage where the average person would be in two months.

So yes, I do believe in the power of positive thinking. It’s working for me!

And while I’m at it, I’ll send a huge thank you to the nurses and other health care providers who did such an excellent job of caring for me. Thank you is something they don’t hear often enough.

Lee McKenzie
www.leemckenzie.com

18 comments:

Marin Thomas said...

Lee, sorry to hear you were in the hospital! Good news that you're well on your way to recovery. Nurses like teachers are special people and never receive enough credit or "thank yous".

Take care and don't overdue!
Marin
www.marinthomas.com

Estella said...

Nurses and health care workers never get enough credit for what they do.

Lee McKenzie said...

Thanks, Marin! My family is taking very good care of me and making sure I take things easy.

Lee McKenzie said...

Estella, I completely agree with you. I was so impressed - not just by the the quality of care, but also by the compassion with which it was delivered.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling better. I had a surprise 4 days in the hospital this summer and 90% of the nurses were wonderful - my best friend is a nurse so I know how much they go through. Unfortunately I was there for a holiday - 4th of July - which kept me there 2 extra days!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your positive thinking (and great care and strong body) have you well on the road to recovery, Lee.
There are all kinds of studies, scientific and otherwise, that show what a huge impact our thoughts have on our well-being. One of my favourites found that laughing boosts the immune system – that's my excuse for watching nothing but comedies on TV and renting only funny movies and reading books with a light – or laugh-out-loud – touch. Like, oh, yours, for example!

Rachel

Anonymous said...

Lee- I'm awfully glad you're home now and that you're healing so quickly.

I agree, positive thinking is the best way to think. But sometimes it's hard to be positive. You're proof that if a person thinks positively, even at the worst of times, it's a great help.

Anonymous said...

Lee,
I'm sorry to hear you were in the hospital, but I'm very glad to hear your recovery is going well.
Take care!

Shelley

www.shelleygalloway.com

Lee McKenzie said...

Catslady, an unexpected hospital stay is never fun. Sorry to hear it was extended due to the holiday, but good to hear you had mostly great nurses.

Lee McKenzie said...

Thanks, Rachel :)

That's an interesting tidbit about laughter boosting the immune system. Maybe I should rent THE PARTY with Peter Sellers. It's one of my favorite laugh-out-loud movies of all time.

Lee McKenzie said...

Ann and Shelley, thanks for the good wishes!

Sarita Leone said...

So sorry to hear you were in the hospital but very glad to find you're on the mend.

:)

Lee McKenzie said...

Thank you, Sarita!

The recipe for fried apples on your From The Kitchen blog sounds scrumptious. Can't wait to try it!

Megan Kelly said...

Leek sorry to hear about your stay in the hospital, but glad you're mending well. When I was in last March, the man across the hall yelled "Help" all night. The poor nurses were run ragged. Keeping a smile on helps everyone! Take care, and don't overdo.

Megan Kelly said...

OH jeez! That's supposed to be Lee comma, not Leek. Must be time for my nap.

hornblower said...

Lee, glad to hear you're back home & recovering like a dynamo!

Lee McKenzie said...

Thanks, Megan! And don't worry about calling me Leek - I've been called worse :)

Lee McKenzie said...

Thanks, Hornblower. I haven't quite reached the dynamo stage, but I'm working on it!