Monday, December 03, 2007

I Want A Weiner Dog For Christmas

Oh, Christmas! I love this time of year. I like being busy, so the extra baking, card delivering, gift wrapping and shopping don’t really get me down. Maybe because I really like to bake and shop~now I can do both without feeling guilty.

This time of year is crazy for our family because it’s a busy time for our kids. Our son is a wrestler so each day begins with a weight report. Each days brings three hour practices and a late-night load of laundry. Weekends involve watching meets and hoping he doesn’t bleed, get hurt or get ringworm. Our daughter is a very peppy basketball cheerleader, so of course, we’re at all those games, too. It’s hectic and fun. Since they’re both in high school my husband and I can see that these years are numbered.

Which brings me to Christmas lists. Years ago my kids used to put things on their lists that they know they wouldn’t get. Like a princess bed for my daughter. Or a hamster. My son’s wish for a pet snake. There was something about dreaming for the impossible that made Christmas seem even more magical.

I’m continuing the tradition this year. See, I want another weiner dog for Christmas. (doesn’t that have a nice ring to it?) I love puppies. And, well, I really love Suzy our red miniature dachshund. We have Phoebe, too…the beagle who ate our ham, our neighbor’s Christmas cookies, and my mother’s stash of Reeces peanut butter cups. But Phoebe isn’t eating us out of house and home, she sleeps. She’s a great dog.

Suzy, on the other hand, is my buddy. She stays by my side when I write. She does all kinds of cute things. And, well, wouldn’t just one more dog be fun? And, well, another dog would sure keep me company when my busy days with the kids are just a memory….right?

My husband says no. I don’t blame him. Dogs are expensive. They’re a mess. Weiner dogs bark a lot. But…don’t you think a new little black and tan one would be so cute?

I’ve been combing the Dachshund rescue sights. My friend Heather forwarded me a blog Jenny Crusie just wrote showing photos of her three new weiner dogs. I guess I'm not the only one who dreams big.

So, even though I know I won’t get a new dog, and I know I don’t need a new dog…I’m putting one on my Christmas list. Just because the idea of a new pup makes me smile. A lot.
Anyone want to share a secret Santa wish that they have? In the meantime, hope everyone enjoys this busy month as much as they can.

Shelley

6 comments:

Heather MacAllister said...

We've always had dachshunds. My hubby's family had big red ones and we had miniature black and tans. We compromised on a miniature red. Right now, we're dogless, but I've been looking at rescue sites, too.

Anonymous said...

Heather, aren't those rescue sites something? Some are so adorable...some little dogs have histories that make me cry. Good luck on your dog hunt!

Shelley

Jennifer Faye said...

Keep smiling. I wanted a puppy too. But my dh and two kitties said 'no'. Sniffle, sniffle. So I told dh that I wanted another kittie. He said maybe some day... At least my kitties are great big babies who adore attention.

Nathalie said...

I remember wanting a cat when I was young... but my mom always refused!

Trish Milburn said...

Oh, I love the idea of a puppy with a big red bow around his neck sitting under the Christmas tree on Christmas morning. Alas, the city isn't the best place to have a dog, and because of allergies I don't want animals in the house. Maybe if we get a place in the country at some future point. I always had dogs growing up, but we lived out in the sticks.

Lily said...

I never wanted a pet for chrismas... it was always toys and now, it depends on what I am lacking!!