Saturday, November 24, 2007

It’s a Dog’s Life

From some of my previous posts on this blog, you’ve probably figured out that I’m an animal lover, and a big supporter of animal rescue endeavors. So when I started to write With This Ring, my December Harlequin American Romance, it came as no surprise to me that the hero has a dog that he adopted from the SPCA. Max is an Old English Sheepdog, and he quickly became one of my favorite secondary characters in the book.

To be honest, I’d never actually met an Old English Sheepdog, but a little Internet research revealed an OES rescue facility in a town that’s about an hour’s drive from where I live. So I contacted them, and they invited me to come for a visit.

Ann Rambaud and Ray Salmon, the proprietors of Sheepie Hollow, are two of the most wonderful and amazing people you could hope to meet. They currently have one Old English Sheepdog and three Bearded Collies. Before I met the dogs I didn’t know the difference between an OES and a beardie—and there are differences—but they have a lot in common, too. Both breeds are very intelligent, extremely sociable, and require a lot of grooming!

Currently, three of Ann and Ray’s four dogs have been rescued. They have the perfect home and a lifestyle that’s laid back enough to allow four dogs to have the run of the house.

Summer is their only non-rescue dog. She’s a gorgeous championship-quality Bearded Collie, and Ann and Ray have had her since she was a puppy.

Penny, a twelve-year-old OES, has been with them for about nine years. Before that she’d been through four homes, and one previous owner even used a shock collar on her. After just a few minutes in Penny’s company, I was completely enchanted. She’s funny and affectionate, and it’s impossible to understand how anyone found it necessary to use extreme behavioral controls on such a beautiful girl.

Blue is a Bearded Collie who’d been found running the streets. He had only been at Sheepie Hollow for a few weeks when I met him, and he was already part of the family. Ann and Ray’s big fenced yard allows Blue plenty of room to run, but we’re happy to report his wild, wandering ways are a thing of the past.

Of all the dogs, Molly’s story touched me the most. Molly is an amputee—her left hind leg is missing. It’s well disguised by her long fur and tail, though, and because she has no problem keeping up with the other dogs, I didn’t even notice it right away. When I finally asked if she had a bit of a limp, Ann and Ray told me her story.

In 2003 she escaped from her previous owner on Halloween night and was found eleven days later on the side of a road. She had multiple injuries, the worst of which was a shattered hind leg. Her owner was contacted but refused to pay for her veterinary care, which included the amputation of that left hind leg. The vet performed all the necessary treatment anyway and within a couple of weeks, Molly was adopted by Ann and Ray.

To me, Molly seemed to have the sweetest disposition of the four dogs, and she’s the most patient, waiting her turn for pat on the head instead of insisting on it! And to say that Molly now has a full life would be a complete understatement. She has a wonderful, loving home, two devoted humans, and three lively companions.

You can follow the early weeks of Molly’s rehabilitation here, but I also want to share a couple of photos in this post.

Ann and Ray’s wonderful home is well equipped for large, energetic dogs. Within four months of being injured, Molly was leading an active life.

Ann and Ray provide lots of extracurricular adventures to keep their dogs mentally and physically stimulated.

I especially love the next two pictures and when I first saw them, I laughed until I had tears in my eyes! Molly’s herding instinct is not hampered by that missing leg . . .

. . . and I can actually imagine sound effects to go with this one. Engines revving, tires squealing, and they’re off. Go Molly!

And kudos to Ann and Ray for being such wonderful people.

And now I hope you’re as anxious to meet Max, the Old English Sheepdog in With This Ring, as I am to introduce him to you. Starting November 29 for six consecutive Thursdays, he’ll be guest blogging on my blog, The Writer Side of Life. Max and I will also have some fun prizes to give away, so we hope you’ll visit often!

Lee
http://www.leemckenzie.com
http://thewritersideoflife.blogspot.com/

23 comments:

Rachel said...

What heartwarming stories, Lee! Those are some lucky creatures – Ann and Ray obviously put a lot of thought into the dogs' quality of life.

And the photos were delightful! Especially the ones of Molly herding the sheep! I actually felt sorry for the woollies, having to put on such a burst of speed – so far from their preferred behaviour of eat, amble, eat.

Lee McKenzie said...

Glad you enjoyed the photos, Rachel! I've looked at the sheep pics dozens of times and they still make me smile!

And you're so right about Ann and Ray's thoughtfulness, although I'm sure they'd be quick to say they reap a hundred times more than they have sown.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for blogging our dogs so nicely, Lee! A couple of minor points - we aren't really an OES rescue facility - we're just people who believe in helping out dogs in need. Also - Penny has been with us a lot longer than three years. She moved in with Ann in 1998, after going through four homes in her young life. And she has been 'ours' since Ann and I got together in 2001.
As for Molly being the sweetest of our dogs, we sometimes wonder - she can express her opinion very forcefully when anyone intrudes on her private space!
Anyway we love our dogs and they are all sweet in their way!

Ron said...

What a wonderful story and a great way to start off!

Ann and Ray are well known in sheepie circles, and their reputation is both stellar and well deserved.

For more info on Old English Sheepdogs you can check in on the Old English Sheepdog forum. An entire phalanx of wonderful sheepie lovers awaits to help with any issue. (Disclosure: I'm the webmaster of that site, I might be biased.)

I look forward to seeing Max's guest bloggings over at The Writer Side of Life.

Lee McKenzie said...

Hi, Ray! Thanks for stopping by and clarifying a few points. As you can tell, dates and numbers have never been my thing :)

Now that I've double-checked the notes I made when I visited, I see that Penny has been with you for about nine years. She's one lucky Penny!

Molly was as sweet as can be that day, but it's good to know she stands up for herself!

Lee McKenzie said...

Ron, your forum is impressive! I had no idea there was such a network of sheepdog lovers, but having met Ann and Ray's dogs, I can certainly understand why there is.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy Max's blogs, too!

hornblower said...

Hi Lee, I'm so glad you have a rescue dog in your new book! I foster dogs for an animal rescue and there are so many wonderful animals out there who need a second chance. Currently I have a big maremma sheepdog staying here - he needs lots of help with socialization & trust but he's coming along nicely and will be a wonderful companion for someone.

Looking forward to reading your book!

Margaret from GVC

Lee McKenzie said...

Margaret, I've never heard of maremma sheepdogs, but Google Images brought up dozens of pictures. What beautiful dogs! I hope your fellow finds a forever home with a loving family. Till then, he's in good, caring hands.

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to hear happy endings to horrid stories. I'm so heartened to hear about Ann and Ray. Most of my pets as a child were from the SPCA and they were amazing additions to our lives.

A friend of mine was a sheep herderess up in Alaska and still has her sheepdog now that she lives in Victoria. When our kids were toddlers "Stealth" would herd them for us. Convenient and hilarious. Now that they are 3 year olds he still runs circles around them. They are amazing dogs.

Estella said...

What a great story about OES!

Lee McKenzie said...

Ramona, I LOVE your story about the child-herding sheepdog! I could have used one of those when my kids were growing up :)

Lee McKenzie said...

Glad you enjoyed this, Estella. It was fun to share it!

EllenToo said...

Loved the pictures of Molly herding sheep. And bless Ann & Ray.
I have WITH THIS RING on my TBR pile and it is actually next in line. I order all my books from Harlequin and they go on the pile in the order they come out of the box so I don't have to decide which of the wonderful stories to read first.

Lee McKenzie said...

Ellen, those photos of Molly and the sheep do make make a person smile, don't they? I hope you enjoy WITH THIS RING :)

bridget said...

Lee, how wonderful! Those dogs are incredible born workers, aren't they? It's unbelievable how you can have a "sheep herding" gene. My friend's daughter took her Australian Shepherd (who had never seen a sheep) to a fair, and they went all the way through the 4H Livestock tent with no problem until they got to the sheep. And then that dog barked and lunged fit to be tied. They had to haul him out!

Good on you for your animal rescue efforts, and Ann & Ray too--and I can't wait to read "With this Ring"!

Lee McKenzie said...

Bridget, thanks for the story about the Australian Shepherd. Too funny that he ignored all the animals except the sheep! I hope you enjoy WITH THIS RING :)

Unknown said...

I love stories with animals in them thanks for sharing the pictures also

Lee McKenzie said...

I'm with you, Bethre. Since I was a child I've loved stories with animals and stories about animals. One of my all-time favs is THE INCREDIBLE JOURNEY by Sheila Burnford. It was also a Disney movie. Glad you enjoyed the pictures, too!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Great post! I loved the pics, too.

Lee McKenzie said...

Thanks, Jennifer! I think it's safe to say Molly is a star!

Cherie J said...

Aww! I am do touched by your heartwarming post. Thanks for sharing.

Lily said...

Great post... count me in... I will be hopping to your blog :)

Lee McKenzie said...

Cherie, I'm so pleased that Molly's warmed your heart.

Lily, I'll look forward to seeing you over at at The Writer of Side of Life :)