Thursday, October 11, 2007

If you want something done ...

... ask a busy person to do it.

I love that saying, because it's so true. When I overschedule myself, I have to use my time wisely or I'll miss deadlines or appointments. But during a week when nothing much is going on, I move like a snail on Dramamine. I figure there's always plenty of time, no need to hurry, and so I don't.

When my schedule is packed and my To-Do list won't fit on one sheet of paper, I'm in efficiency mode. If I can multi-task, I do it. And usually, if someone asks me to do something, I say yes because I can always squeeze in one more thing. But if my week stretches ahead of me gloriously empty, I'm reluctant to take on a task because I don't want to spoil the slothfulness of it all.

Peeking at my schedule for the next six weeks is a little bit terrifying. Seems everything I volunteered to do over the past year is coming to roost in October and November--booksignings, contest judging, critiques, family gatherings, travel, tree planting, workshops, pet vaccinations, Halloween and Thanksgiving and ... oh, yes, I have both a book and a proposal due.

So someone explain to me why I volunteered to host a neighborhood wine-tasting party in two weeks? Because I'm busy and I want to be busier? Because I'm just not stressed enough?

Really, though, I shouldn't complain. My life is a cakewalk compared to that of an author with a 9-5 job and kids who still manages to write three or more books a year. Now, if you really want something done, ask one of them, not me!

6 comments:

Estella said...

And you still find time to write???

catslady said...

I totally agree that the more you schedule the faster you work and the more you get done.
The wine party sounds like fun and hopefully after the inital stressing you'll have a grand time!

Kara Lennox said...

Estella--Amazingly, what I've found is that if I really focus, I can get my page quota done in 2-3 hours. Assuming I'm organized and the book isn't stalled or giving me problems!

catslady--Every time I invite people over--big party or small--I get all stressed out, but then I end up having a great time and wondering why I don't do it more often.

Kara

Lily said...

When I overschedule... I get the work done and usually end up sick after... it just happened to me!

Nathalie said...

The more you do... the more you achive and you are happier at the end of the day :)

Anonymous said...

Wow... that was a long list for the next month... just remember to breath :)