Sunday, August 19, 2007

Fried Green Tomatoes

I read Kara’s post about family traditions with interest. It got me thinking about food. (I’m always thinking of food!!) We all have cooking traditions learned through our families and the regions where we live.

I live in the Pacific Northwest (just outside Seattle) now, but I grew up in the Midwest, in Indianapolis. Land of the best corn ever and meat and potatoes. Fish and Asian foods are big in the Pacific Northwest. Combining both ways of eating has been wonderfully creative and tasty! One food culture that has always interested me is Southern cooking. I’ve made a few dishes (and I love to watch Paula Deen on Food Network). So...

We’ve had a cool, gray summer here and our tomato plants are woefully behind. Lots and lots of green tomatoes, and I’m wondering if they’ll ever ripen. So I asked some friends in the south about fried green tomatoes. Here is what they advised: Make sure the tomatoes are in that first pale blush before turning red, because they taste so great then. Dip each slice in egg, then in a mixture of cornmeal and flour, with salt, pepper and a little garlic. Fry until browned and crisp on both sides.

Doesn’t that sound wonderful? I tried it and it is.

Trying new things is always an adventure. What have you tried lately that was new and different?

www.annroth.net
Summer Lovin’ Anthology: A Reunion Story, June 2007
Mitch Takes A Wife, August, 2007www.annroth.net

3 comments:

Estella said...

I tried sturgeon this summer and I can take it or leave it---my husband loved it.

Anonymous said...

Did you buy it, or catch it?

Anonymous said...

I tried eating more fish... salmon or thon - which I usually find hateful - and it comes from the market!