Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I'm off to the conference

As you read this, I'll be on my way to the Hyatt downtown for the RWA conference. (Or I'm already there!)

This is the highlight of my year, and lots of my fellow romance writers agree with me. We prepare for weeks and months: The clothes, the hair, the fingernails. We make the travel arrangements and check them ten times. We coordinate with our friends. We make plans for meals, shopping and touristy stuff. We practice pitching our books, in case we get stuck in an elevator with an editor.

I love immersing myself for days in this "other" world where I am Kara Lennox, author. I love sitting in the bar 'til all hours laughing myself sick with old friends and new. I love wearing my "dress-up clothes."

After running on adrenaline for four days, I'll crash when it's all over, barely able to stumble to the fridge and back to bed. I'll ask myself why I do it. Why do I spend all that money and time? But then I'll arise like a phoenix from the ashes, overcome by this incredible urge to write, write, write. THAT's why I do it!

5 comments:

PatriciaW said...

You'll still be Kara Lennox, Author when you return. At least in my eyes.

Have a great time.

A chance to leave day-to-day behind, sit around with loads of women and dress up? I have got to get to one of these conferences...

Cherie J said...

Have a great time! I have never been to RWA or RT so enjoy it for me too! :-)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Dress up clothes?

You mean I wouldn't be able to get away with my standard garb of yoga pants and baggy t-shirt? LOL!

Have a great time!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of work and a lot of fun!! I agree with you Patricia, I'm gonna have to get to one of these conferences :}

CrystalGB said...

Have a great time. :)