Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Echoes of Dallas 2007

If anyone reading this blog hasn't come to the conclusion that we love going to RWA conference each year, they haven't been paying attention. But of course everyone has been, so I'll add my .02 and echo the others here about what a wonderful experience the conference is, and this year was no exception.

My first conference was in Dallas in 1996 during the same dates in July. I was in shock when I arrived in Dallas that first time. Authors whose books I read were normal people, leading everyday lives, just like me! I walked around with my mouth open in awe, I'm sure. I had just become an RWA member and the opportunity of being with so many others excited me. I had even stumbled into a chatroom for romance authors, where I met a Golden Heart finalist for that year. Kathie DeNosky and I had only exchanged two or three emails when we met face to face in Dallas in '96, but we became critique partners and dear friends. This year, eleven years later, we were roommates for the first time. It just seemed fitting.

As a newbie to Harlequin American this year, it was wonderful to meet many of the other authors on this blog at conference. They are all the lovely ladies I knew they would be, and I hope we have the chance to spend more time together, both here on the blog and at future conferences.

Ladies of Harlequin American, I lift my glass to you all. Readers of Harlequin American, the next toast is to you for reading our books.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hear, Hear!! (raising my glass, also)

Estella said...

Yeah for Harlequin American!