Monday, July 16, 2007

Chicago Sight-Seeing


Happy Monday and a warm welcome back to the authors who spent last week at the RWA conference.

While some authors "partied" in Dallas I hosted a houseful of guests from San Antonio. We spent one day in Chicago sight-seeing. Chicago is such a beautiful city with so many gorgeous old buildings. We visited the Sears Tower--always fun to see people paying basketball and tennis on the rooftops of buildings! Then we hopped a water taxi and made our way over to Michigan Ave for some hard-core shopping--can't beat $2 a person and the boat is a lot safer than a cab.

For those of you who remember the old Saturday Night Live skits….we had lunch at the famous Billy Goat Tavern

Ever hear of the "Curse of the Billy Goat," also known as the Cubs Curse?Do you recall the Saturday Night Live sketch in which a short order cook would yell out to incoming patrons: "Cheezborger! Cheezborger!No fries, cheeps! No Pepsi, Coke!"?

Here's a tidbit of info on the Goat:
The original Billy Goat Tavern location was "born" in 1934 when Greek immigrant, William "Billy Goat" Sianis, purchased the Lincoln Tavern. Billy Goat bought the tavern for $205, with a check that bounced but was later repaid with sales from the first weekend. The tavern was located across from the Chicago Stadium (now United Center) and attracted mainly sports fans. Sianis became known as "Billy Goat," when a goat fell off a passing truck and wandered inside. Sianis adopted the goat, grew a goatee, acquired the nickname "Billy Goat," and changed the name of the bar to the Billy Goat Tavern.

As I ate my cheezborger that afternoon I thought what a great setting for an American book. Who knows, maybe one day I'll think up a Billy Goat plot.

Our day ended with a few hours at the annual Taste of Chicago event, then a long train ride back to the suburbs. During the ride home I concluded that Chicago would be a wonderful setting for an American book. Yes, the city is huge but it's comprised of smaller communities throughout and the people are warm and friendly.

This is the final week of my e-harlequin daily serial, True Confessions. If you haven’t checked out the story of Pat and Dolly, two characters from my upcoming August release, Ryan's Renovation (The McKade Brothers) I invite you to stop by and join in the discussion. http://www.eharlequin.com/

Have a great week everyone!

Marin
http://www.marinthomas.com/
The Preacher's Daughter *Summer Lovin* June 07
Ryan's Renovation *McKade Brothers* Aug 07
For The Children *Hearts of Appalachia* Oct 08

4 comments:

Estella said...

Chicago sounds like an interesting city!

Laura Marie Altom said...

Hey Sweetie!! I missed you at RWA, but it sounds like you had a fun week!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marin
I'm working hard to become an American Romance writer and have high hopes for my most recent story I just sent off to Kathleen Scheibling.

If you ever decide to write that Billy Goat story -- look me up. My husband is a full time goat farmer and we have over 300 breeding does in our herd. There isn't much I don't know about goats!

Best wishes --
Nancy Naigle

Marin Thomas said...

LOL! Nancy, I will definitely search for you if I write about goats! Good luck with your stories. The American line s a great line to write for, lots of variety in the stories, settings and tones.

Marin
www.marinthomas.com
Ryan's Renovation Aug 07