Friday, June 22, 2007

UDDERS AND PUTTERS

Something happened yesterday that my husband and I are still reeling from. Our son went to Udders and Putters without us.
Udders and Putters is a miniature golf course in southern Ohio in the middle of a dairy farm. Years ago, while on one of our summer car trips, we stopped and fell in love. Udders and Putters has two little putt-putt courses, a corn maze in the fall, lots of fake cows, a gift shop, and the best thing of all…a HUGE ice cream parlor with fresh-from-the dairy ice cream. Yeah. Miniature golf and ice cream and fake cows. You don’t need much else to make me happy.
Well, it’s been a family tradition ever since then to go at least once a year. We drive the ninety minutes together, always saying that it takes longer than we remembered. We play cutthroat putt-putt. (I’m the designated cheater) We tease my daughter about her fear of corn as we tromp through the maze and inevitably get hopelessly lost. Finally we celebrate another trip well done with bowls of ice cream.
To say I was in a bit of shock when my son called me from his friend’s car to say that he was going to Udders and Putter’s on his own (WITHOUT US!) is an understatement.
Part of me was really glad that such a place meant enough for him to take a friend. Another part was worried he would suddenly see the place through another teen’s eyes and discover that maybe it wasn’t quite as neat as the memories made them out to be.
Most of me was just plain jealous. My schedule yesterday involved swim team practice, volunteering at church, running to the grocery store and post office and finally writing seven pages. All were good things but…no dairy farm at all.
He got home about an hour before dinner with a full report. He told us all about Udder and Putter updates. He said he had a good time. No, he didn’t say anything sappy like “It would have been better with you, Mom.” But he didn’t say he wouldn’t go with us in August, either.
So maybe this is the first ‘turning point.’. Perhaps it’s one of our crazy, evolved traditions that he’ll carry on…Or maybe it will just be one of those things he’ll always remember about growing up in Ohio.
Please tell me that we’re not the only family who has a favorite quirky summer activity. Anyone else want to share?
Shelley

11 comments:

Christa said...

Every year my parents go camping on the July 1 weekend. All the immigrants that came from Uraguay get together and camp for 3-4 days. I usually don't go but I went last year for the day when they had the big bbq. My son likes to go and since July 1 is his birthday he gets a big party up there.

catslady said...

For quite a few years our one and only family trip was to Cedar Point for a few days (in your neck of the woods lol).Once my oldest daughter started college and consequently moved out, we just never did it any more. Well she graduated from psu and is now engaged and living even further away, but guess what she wants to do this year - yup, a family trip to Cedar Point. There will be two additional boyfriends with us this time but we all enjoy each other's company and I'm thrilled the "old folks" were included.

Anonymous said...

Christa,
I'm not much of a camper, but going with a bunch of relatives sounds like fun...especially when a birthday party is involved! So will you go this year?

Shelley

Anonymous said...

I love Cedar Point! My husband grew up near there and we went to ride the roller coasters the first time I visited him. Now, though, I think I'll just be a 'watcher'...all those wooden roller coasters look scary at 40!

Shelley

Christa said...

Nope, I won't be going. Not everyone is related, it's just that they all speak the same language and have the same traditions. You always have the people coming up and saying "oh this is little Christa" hello I was little Christa 20 years ago.

Kathleen said...

There is a state park that my family and I like to visit each year! We fish, hike, eat, sometimes camp, relax, and eat some more :)

Unknown said...

We have a small amusement park about a half-hour away that we go to every summer. A few bigger rides but mostly aimed at family. We take a picnic lunch, then hop on the rides. And we all HAVE to ride the train right before we leave.

Anonymous said...

We don't have any quirky summer tradition to speak of. We just enjoy the beach and try to go as often as we can. Although, we do go to the same Gulf Coast town that I went to as a child, and it just amazes me how it has turned from a sleepy little southern beach to a thriving busy resort area. My children don't belive me when I say I remember when the only thing on this stretch of beach was The Pink Pony Pub(which is still there and going strong in Gulf Shores, Alabama)

Anonymous said...

Abamabecky,
I think if you're lucky enough to live near the beach, you don't need any quirky traditions! I hope you have a great summer!

Shelley

Unknown said...

We really do not have summer traditions either just like to have family cookouts for any reason that we can think of

Maureen said...

We go to the racetrack which has a big playground (that the kids enjoyed when they were young ) and picnic tables where you can bring your own cooler. You can even bring a charcoal grill.