Tuesday, June 19, 2007

I get ideas at the weirdest times

When I’m driving through congested Seattle traffic, I always get to thinking. Often about my current work-in-process, interspersed with whatever happens to be on NPR. Sometimes I think of a brand new story idea or figure out a new facet to a character or a clever twist in the plot.

It’s weird how this stuff fills my head when I’m stuck in traffic.(Probably somewhat dangerous, too, as stories can be so distracting.) The unleashed creative ideas pour forth at other unexpected times, too, like when I’m making the bed or doing any dreaded housework. (Except when I’m changing the kitty litter box. That requires my full attention. ☺)

The experts say that when we work at mindless or repetitive tasks that don’t actively engage the mind, our brain is free to work out issues or solve problems. I guess that’s what I’m doing. That’s not to say I don’t get ideas other times. I do—first thing in the morning, after I wake up. On occasion while reading a book, or watching TV. But the majority of my ideas come when I’m busy doing something.

I’m curious about both writers and readers. When you get your best ideas and do your best problem solving?

Ann Roth
Summer Lovin’ Anthology: A Reunion Story, June 2007
Mitch Takes A Wife, August, 2007
www.annroth.net

14 comments:

Cherie J said...

I am not a writer but I do get solutions to everyday problems sometimes when I am doing my workout tape or taking a shower.

Anonymous said...

Cherie- Ah, while you exercise. Neat!

CrystalGB said...

I am not a writer. But, like you, some of my best solutions come while driving. Also, when I am in bed before going to sleep an idea will come to me.

PatriciaW said...

All day long but especially early in the AM, assuming I've had a good night's sleep.

Something about that car, though. I find myself reaching for tiny bits of paper to scribble enough words to later jog my memory. Definitely dangerous.

Anonymous said...

Crystal and Patricia- It's good to know that you both do some of your problem solving and thinking while driving. Makes me feel better about it. :-)

Anonymous said...

I tend to do my best thinking in shower and right before I drift off to sleep at night. I guess i have to be in "relax" mode, LOL

Jennifer Shirk said...

When I'm on the treadmill and my gym (I now carry a small notebook LOL!) or when I'm at the playground with my child.

I guess they're the times my mind is relaxed and starts to wander. LOL!

Estella said...

I get my best ideas while working in yard and garden.

Anonymous said...

Seems like for all of us, it's when we're not consciously working to solve a problem or create something. I find that fascinating.

bettye griffin said...

While I'm vacuuming, dusting, folding laundry, or other housework chores!

Bettye Griffin
www.bettyegriffin.com
www.chew-the-fat-with-Bettye.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

sometimes I work things out in my sleep

Unknown said...

Definitely when I've relaxed and am not consciously thinking about it . . . usually about 2 a.m., waking me from a sound sleep.

Kathleen said...

Walking helps with my thinking process!

Maureen said...

While driving and doing housework are two times that I do a lot of thinking and sometimes solve things that have been nagging at me.