Sunday, June 03, 2007

GETTING OUT AND GETTING TOGETHER

The other day I was reading Jane Porter’s blog and she wrote something that just struck me as so ‘right’ that I’ve been thinking about it for the last week. In a nutshell, she wrote about making more of an effort to actually visit with people, face to face.
I can completely relate. Lately, I’ve had quite a few projects I’ve been working on, and therefore, I’ve been spending lots and lots of time in front of my computer. With uh, made-up people. When I get tired of writing, I go on the Internet and catch up with on-line friends. Phone calls, for some reason, have seemed to take up too much time, never mind actually having coffee or a dinner out with girlfriends.
With this in mind, I knew that Lori Foster’s and Dianne Castell’s 3rd Annual Get-Together was going to be very needed and appreciated. I went yesterday, and it was just terrific.
For those of you that haven’t heard about this, Lori and Dianne host a reader-writer get-together every June. Lots of readers come from all over, and even a couple of agents and editors attend, too. It’s casual, like Lori. People wear t-shirts and jeans. There’s a limited schedule…it’s all mainly just a time to reconnect with people.
But because Lori and Dianne are just so great, it’s also about helping other people too. Authors donate baskets and critiques to be raffled. 90 authors also contributed recipes for a cookbook. All the proceeds from these things go to two very worthy causes…soldiers and a local battered women’s shelter. This year, over $3000 was made just on the gift baskets alone!
I had a great time visiting with members from my local RWA chapter, other authors and readers. I met a great gal who’d flown all the way from San Diego to be there, and ate lunch with another woman who’d never wanted to write…she just loved to read romance! Especially Harlequins! I loved her!
Little by little, I found myself feeling more energized and excited as the day went on. I laughed and talked and listened…and realized Lori and Dianne are two very smart ladies.
They’ve found a way to help a whole lot of women reconnect and remember what is important: other people...readers and friendships and soldiers fighting for all of us. And a group of ladies in a shelter who really need a helping hand and a few extra prayers.
Tomorrow, I’ll go back to my made-up people. But today I think I’m going to spend another couple of hours recalling just how nice it was to get out and about. And laugh and talk. Face to face.

12 comments:

Kathleen said...

I always enjoy meeting my friends face to face. The phone and emails are great for daily updates, but being able to see someone gives you more of a connection.

catslady said...

It's easy to get sucked into cyberspace and I've found that I spend way too much time online. I now make a point of getting together with real life people lol,

Anonymous said...

Dear Kathleen and catslady,

It sounds like y'all already have the right idea! I'm bound and determined to get out and get together with friends more often!

Shelley

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I live alone and on a daily basis, I'm happy if I see one real person. Before blogs grew more common, I'd sometimes wouldn't a say or "utter" a word a whole day.

Cyberspace has helped me to at least connect with people in a somewhat limited way but I now also talk to people on the bus, at bus stops or almost anywhere else I happen to be. I'm glad about that.

There are quite a few very interesting people I've gotten to know and even been able to help in some small way. Those are the days when I feel most alive. It offsets the days when I hardly feel able to move or collect a decent, coherent thought.

Unknown said...

It is nice to get out and chat face to face. And then on those days when you just want to be lazy and stay in your jammies... I love to be online talking. LOL

Cheryl said...

You're right . . . it's become too easy to sit at the computer and email and chat with online friends. But lately, I've tried to balance it out with getting out in the real world and connecting more with friends and family. Thanks for another thoughtful discussion topic.

Cheryl

Estella said...

I recently moved back to my hometown after alomost 8 years away. It is so nice to be able to get together with friends and family for visits and summer fun again.

Anonymous said...

If I didn't have a full-time job, I know I'd be a hermit...so I'm glad that I do...just so I am forced to interact with people!
--Jazzgirrl

Unknown said...

I think life just keeps getting busier and busier and we do miss the face to face talking

CrystalGB said...

With the hustle and bustle of every day life, it is hard to make time to meet face to face and have conversations. It is easier to just send off an email or chat on line.

Cherie J said...

Being a stay at home I know I always enjoy the weekends when we get out and I get some adult conversation. I tend to be a bit of a homebody so I push myself every once in awhile to get out and do something social. I think it is important to do that.

Jane Porter said...

Hi Shelley, the only bad thing about my blog was the fact that my sister read it and called me upset, wanting to know why I didn't call her more and reminding me that she's real and not a fictional character in my head. Hmmmm.

Can I make her a fictional character???

Jane