Friday, March 02, 2007

Generation Me


Did anyone see the news coverage citing that kids who grew up in the 1980's are "more narcissistic and self-centered than their predecessors"? Evidently teachers and parents are to blame for going overboard with phrases like "You're special." And supposedly "studies show that these kids already know their special." The article went on to say "this trend could be harmful to personal relationships and American society."

Hmm…that got me wondering if the trend might be harmful to the romance book industry. Seriously, what kind of reading material will Generation Me select as they grow older? More specifically, will Generation Me women even want to read the kind of romance novels I write?

I ponder these things because a sense of community plays an important role in the Harlequin American Romance line. Our characters' lives revolve around neighbors, friends and family. Many of the books contain story lines where the hero and heroine's goals are to help others first, themselves last. I'm worried a story like that might not appeal to a Generation Me reader.

Maybe I'm concerned for nothing. Generation Me won’t be exempt from aging. Eventually, many of them will marry and have families and along the way discover that life doesn’t revolve around them. Years down the road, the American Romance line might very well see a surge in readership. I just hope I'm still putting out books then--sheesh!

Any thoughts regarding the reading preferences of Generation Me?

Marin
www.marinthomas.com

3 comments:

Victoria Chancellor said...

Hi, Marin. I just read your blog (I'm a little behind on my reading because I had some minor eye surgery last week) and I thought immediately of my 34 year old daughter and her friends. They read hot romances and don't have much interest in hearth, home and family books. Darn it! However, as they have their own families, I'm also hopeful that they will relate to the stories we write. After all, as you said so well in your blog, these are universal values. Best wishes with your new release.

Victoria Chancellor said...

Hi, Marin. I just read your blog (I'm a little behind on my reading because I had some minor eye surgery last week) and I thought immediately of my 34 year old daughter and her friends. They read hot romances and don't have much interest in hearth, home and family books. Darn it! However, as they have their own families, I'm also hopeful that they will relate to the stories we write. After all, as you said so well in your blog, these are universal values. Best wishes with your new release.

Marin Thomas said...

Victoria

First, I hope your eyes are feeling much better now :-)

As for your daughter reading the hot stuff..I have a sister who's 10 years younger than me and that's what she and her friends are reading also.

Today with so many women wanting careers first then marriage and kids I wonder at what age they might develop an interest in the home and hearth romances...40ish maybe, lol!